RE: [higgins-dev] Data Model: Many same-typed attributes?

Let’s definitely make the Higgins wiki pages under http://wiki.eclipse.org/Higgins_Data_Model authoritative. AND in the process let’s document and work out any differences with HOWL. (As a side benefit of doing that, we’ll also be able to document any differences with the XDI RDF model so that Higgins deployments can can cleanly send data in the HDM around in XDI. A triple win!)

=Drummond

From: higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jim Sermersheim
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2008 4:35 PM
To: Higgins dev
Subject: RE: [higgins-dev] Data Model: Many same-typed attributes?

This is why I started wondering about an "authoritative" data model.  If we say the wiki pages are authoritateve, it allows us to define the model exactly the way we want to.  The down side is that we might design something (like this) which can't be represented in the HOWL.  OTOH, making the HOWL authoritative might cause the APIs to become clunky.

>>> "Drummond Reed" <drummond.reed@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 01/14/08 4:45 PM >>>

higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx]

On Behalf Of

Jim Sermersheim

Monday, January 14, 2008 1:38 PM

Higgins dev <higgins-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

[higgins-dev] Data Model: Many same-typed attributes?

Mike also resurrected this topic in

http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/higgins-dev/msg03734.html

Currently we say there are 0..1 instances of a given attribute on a subject, and for any attribute, there are 1..N values.  This question is:  Should we change it so we allow 0..N instances of a given attribute, each with 1 value.

In the past, this was brought up because it would better align the IdAS APIs with the way OWL or HOWL works.

From an API point of view, I prefer the grouping one gets with a single attribute with multiple values.

I don't recall other arguments either way.  If no one is interested in re-hashing this topic, I'll let it die.

Jim

[=Drummond] Jim, I’m not so much interested in re-hashing this topic…as getting to the bottom of it. This is one of those fundamental ontology/data model design decisions that then resonates throughout the entire model. From a newcomer’s POV, I think it’s fascinating that the RDF/OWL model is 0..N instances of an attribute, each with 1 value, while the Higgins Data Model is 0..1 instances of an attribute with 1..N values.

Whatever the ultimate decision is, this is one topic that deserves a really crisp explanation in the upgraded documentation for the Higgins Data Model. Again, I’m willing to help, but this probably warrants a discussion at the F2F first – unless you think we can seriously advance it via email/wiki between now and then.

=Drummond

Back to the top