Re: [higgins-dev] Higgins data model for attribute values

While this is an excellent observation, it presupposes that we already have closure on the thread started by Mike which hijacked the original thread started by me.

Can we back up, and start at the beginning, and get closure on one thing before we move to the next?

>>> "Sergey Lyakhov" <slyakhov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 01/10/08 4:57 AM >>>

IAttribute interface is an abstraction which only agregates values. When we call IHasAttributes.addAttribute(URI attrID) method, there is nothing happens with attribute owner (no data is added/changed). So, it will be more convenient to suppose that DigitalSubject (ComplexValue, ComplexMetadata) always have an instance of attribute if its type is defined by schema. In this case we can remove addAttribute(URI attrID) method from IHasAttributes interface.

Thanks,
Sergey Lyakhov

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 9:29 PM

Subject: Re: [higgins-dev] Higgins data model for attribute values

The better policy statement to use below would be: Allow Operation X on Resource Y if Group is present and not in Test group.

That aside, it does seem like these kinds of semantics, when we talk about them, become very specific to the attribute or application consuming the attribute.

Daniel suggested in person that we allow valueless attributes, and we state that the semantic difference between valueless attributes and non-present attributes is application-defined.

higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 01/08/2008 12:04:39 PM:

> We would have to make some kind of statement to that effect -- that
> a present attribute with zero values means that it is known that the
> object explicitly has none of that.  So, a present attribute
> hairColor with zero values would mean we know the person is
> hairless, thus has an absence of hair color.  I wonder if the
> semantic meaning changes with each attribute?  A present attribute
> of age with no values means the person is dead or unborn?

I am offended by your baldness example.

> My memory is slowly returning to previous discussions now...  We
> once came up with a completely different semantic.  A present value
> of password with no value meant that we know the user has a
> password, and we're willing to produce an attribute with no value so
> that you may attempt to modify the password, but we're not going to
> reveal the password value to you.  I suppose that could be handled
> in other way (that attribute could have a value, but an exception is
> thrown when one attempts to access it).
>
> In the face of access control, I wonder how meaningful any of these
> statements really are.  Whether or not I can see an attribute on a
> subject, or whether or not I can see any values only means I can't
> see that data -- this could be due to access control, other policy,
> or an actual absence of data.  If consumers need to differentiate,
> then we probably need to invent some specific exceptions to throw
> under various circumstances.  Of course, then people will ask for a
> "don't disclose on error" kind of setting which will prevent the CP
> from throwing such exceptions, and the consumer will be right back
> in the same boat.

For access control. In case where:,
      a)    <Groups/>
or)
      b)    <Groups><Group>Test</Group></Groups>
or
      c)    no Groups attribute

and Policy is Allow Operation X on Resource Y if not in Test group.

I think "a" is clearly allowed, "b" is clearly disallowed, and "c" is not
clear.