RE: Fwd: [higgins-dev] Higgins data model for attribute values

higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 01/08/2008 01:02:47 AM:

> That’s a reasonable use case, however I would argue that in that
> case the data type is xsd:any, and thus it still fits the rule that
> all values are of the same type.
> The same could be applied to Daniel’s telephone number example: the
> datatype is really “string-or-number”.

Forgive my lack of OWL/RDF-ese, but...

There seems to be a pretty significant difference between ...

      class StringOrNumber extends ByteArray {...}

and

      abstract class StringOrNumber {...}

      class String extends StringOrNumber {...}..}

      class Number extends StringOrNumber {...}..}

With the first option, once a value is created, the type of the original
String or Number is lost, perhaps in some cases you can examine the value
and decide whether "123" is intended to be a String or a Number (maybe not)
but this is error prone. Storing a typed value is much better in my
opinion.