[higgins-dev] Notes from Dec 13th Higgins developers call

Attendees

Alex Amies - IBM

Charles Andres - Parity

*  Paula Austel - IBM

*   Anthony Bussani - IBM

*  Jeff Broberg CA

*  Andy Hodgkinson - Novell

*  Duane Buss - Novell

*   Greg Byrd - NCSU/IBM

*   Brian Carrol - Serena

*  Tom Doman - Novell

*   Jeesmon Jacob - Parity

*  Valery Kokhan - Parity Ukraine

David Kuehr-Mclaren - IBM

Mike McIntosh - IBM

Tony Nadalin - IBM

Nataraj Nagaratnam - IBM

Dale Olds - Novell

Drummond Reed - Cordance

*  Bruce Rich - IBM

 Mary Ruddy - Parity/SocialPhysics

 Markus Sabedello - Parity

* Jim Sermersheim - Novell

Uppili Srinivasan - Oracle

Jim Miles

George Stanchev - Serena

*  Daniel Sanders - Novell

*  Paul Trevithick - Parity/SocialPhysics

Igor Tsinman - Parity

Lex Sheehan

 *  Brian Walker - Parity

=====

* Present

Regrets:

Agenda

1) Review of new wiki pages, and renaming of RPPS to Identity Agent Service, 1.0 final clean-up page

2) Auto gen of .psf files and use of subclipse tool.

3) Overall 1.0 Bug status.  Please review and update the list before the developer call today.  Link is available at the bottom of the components page.  There are 32  open items. At the time of last week's call there were  32 items. This didn't move.

4) Paul will coordinate an effort to review Bugzilla items and make sure bug/feature classification is correct

5 Status of specific components

  • Client based identity selector
  • Eclipse based identity selector (IE only)
  • Web based identity selector (Firefox only)
  • RP code
  • IdAS

6) IPR status update

7) Positioning of 1.0, and setting expectations (IdAS API for example)

8) Planned Higgins special topic F2F on multi-protocol architecture, December 17-18 in NY. http://wiki.eclipse.org/Higgins_Multi-Protocol_Server_Architecture_Meeting

9) Planned Higgins regular F2F January 15-17 in Provo http://wiki.eclipse.org/Jan_15-17_Provo_F2F_Agenda.  (Note new date)

Notes:

======

1) Review of new wiki pages, and renaming of RPPS to Identity Agent Service, 1.0 final clean-up page

[Paul]:  On the components pagechanged the structure to align with SVN better.  Found one project that was missing from the  components page, took a lot of the junk and put it into the attic 20-30 projects.  In the process  I also renamed a component from the wiki point of view.  I didn't change the name of any projects in SVN, though I did ask some committers to make changes to be more consistent.  I did rename RPPS - couldn't be a worse name.  Hopefully now the SVN aligns with the components page 1 for 1.  Let me know if you find exceptions.

 [Paul]: We changed the main downloads page on the Higgins home page.  Click on downloads at the left.   It takes you to a short page that directs you to deployments  (now in the process of being renamed to solutions) and components pages.. We removed the client based selector, so is all more consistent.

 [Paul]: The components page is in reasonably good shape and downloads pages.  What is still not in good shape is the deployment configurations.  They are extremely variable.  If people could do anything, focus on the deployments pages.  The idea is we are steering people more to the deployments pages now.

2) Auto gen of .psf files and use of subclipse tool.

 [Paul]:  - Valery suggested we could auto gen. Then people would need to standardize on SVN tools.  Is there anyone who would have a problem with using subclipse?

 [Jim]:  I was using subclipse and Duane was using something also.

 [Paul]: OK, what we are really saying is if you want to use .psf  you  would need to use subclipse.

 [Paul ] I haven't gone and deleted all the .psf's.  Valery is it a big project to auto gen them?

 [Valery

3) Overall 1.0 Bug status.  Please review and update the list before the developers call today.  Link is available at the bottom of the components page.  There are 32  open items. At the time of last week's call there were 32 items. This didn't move.

 [Mary:  Mid morning, there were 32 items.

 [Paul ]:  Are people still confident  they can get done by 12/31

 [Jim]:  I doubt it.  I only have 3, but all big.

 [Jim]: API extensibility - easy to put out there and wait for people to complain

 [Jim]: Refactoring metadata..  will probably do

 [Jim]: Refactoring the model api's .. might propose pushing this off.

 [Paul]: It is very important, but getting 1.0 out on time is also important so that is one we could let slip.

 [Jim ] : Then I will work on them in order..

 [Paul:  I owe you some last small tweaks related to attribute meta data.

 [Paul]: Can't guarantee that we won't change API's in next version.  There are a lot of things that didn't make it into 1.0...  Plan 1.1 and 1.2 between now and June.  [Eclipse release train]  Maybe 1.1 out in a matter of months.

 [Paul]:   Any other comments on item 3?

 [BrianW]:  6 committed to and still looking at other 6.

 [Paul]: Talk to someone on EMO on api.  I think there is a way to declare a conditional API..  One of the things they are looking on is declaring the api.

 [Paul]:  The concern is breaking changes...

 [Paul]: Whether labeling as conditional is ok when exiting 1.0.  Need to check on to be sure. Check with Ed Merks, one of the elected committer reps

[Mary]:  Answer is if change API, need to increment first digit of the release number.

[Paul]:  That blends into topic 5.

5 Status of specific components

  • Client based identity selector
  • Eclipse based identity selector (IE only)
  • Web based identity selector (Firefox only)
  • RP code
  • IdAS

[Paul]:  (for Client based identity selector) Need to add on the deployments page - at least a link to the Firefox extension needed to launch it

[Paul]: Next, Anthony what's your update?

 [Anthony ]: When check in RP code - will be Mike who will check in.

 [Anthony]: Mike is in Europe, will see him tomorrow and ask him.

 [Paul]: Jim just added a view SVN link to components page

 [Paul:  Eclipse based is IE only.  Correct?  Still doable by 12/31

 [Anthony]: Yes

 [Paul]:   The web-based identity selector is FireFox only

 [Paul]: Can Digital me be launched other than by FireFox?

[Paul]: Could create another plug-in.  For 1.0 is Firefox only?

[Andy]: Correct

 [Paul]:   RP code ..  Paula can you update us?

 [Paula]:   Submitted a bug.  Found another and fixetwo issues.  Now ready for Mike to check in... He is anxious to check it in

 [Jeff]:  Should the SVN links on the component pagework now?

 [Paula] No.

 [Paula] There was some existing code checked in.

 [Paul]: IdAS performance...

 6) IPR status update

[Mary]: There are three open CQ's that are not fully approved. They are awaiting input from the committers.  One is getting a subset of the OpenXDAS code that Higgins actually uses.

[Tom]:  Need to get with someone to provide that package.

 [Mary]:  The others are xmlsec and libxml2. What would it take to remove the dependency on libxml2?  It is large and reviewing it is a lot of work.  Eclipse legal can't complete before January.

 [Andy]:The issue is there are a lot of code changes. Hard to do for 1.0

 [Mary]:   Explains that use of Apache C++ xmlsec code would be faster for Eclipse legal to review than currently used package...

 [Andy]:  I appreciate now

 [Mary]:  Getting the final CQ's approved is critical path.

7) Positioning of 1.0, and setting expectations (IdAS API for example)

[Paul ]:  Item number 7, already talked about this Wwill seek guidance

8) Planned Higgins special topic F2F on multi-protocol architecture, December 17-18 in NY. http://wiki.eclipse.org/Higgins_Multi-Protocol_Server_Architecture_Meeting meeting in NY.

 [Jim ]: I assume we will repeat in January?

 [Mary ]:  Yes, we plan to revisit some of the material

 [Brian]: Do we have an agenda?

 [Mary] Have sent out agenda and will resend if necessary It is updated from from last week.

9) Planned Higgins regular F2F January 15-17 in Provo http://wiki.eclipse.org/Jan_15-17_Provo_F2F_Agenda.  (Note new date)

 [Mary]:  The next face-to-face is January 15-17 in Provo.  Please add your proposed agenda items to the wiki.

[Mary]: We had an additional agenda item, the new XML context provider.

[Daniel]:  I just checked in my XML context provider.  It allows a useto do all the testing and use of IdAS without a complicated back end  - just need to set up an xml file. Haven't done anything with meta data, but nice way to test use of IdAS.

[Paul]:  I see it in the components page.  Is doc available on components page

 [Daniel]:  Row D - takes to you to the xml file CP configuration... and section on format of file.   It is rudimentary...

 [Paul]: On IRC channel, there was a question about is everything in the  folder - should they all build?  Answer is yes.  First step is getting the components page lined-up with SVN.  I think I forgot to move a couple of things to nursery.. OpenID should be moved due to IPR issues.

 [Paul]: What else should be moved to the nursery?

 [Daniel]:   Xml context provider.. not available to 1.0.  Those were put in by hand.

 [Paul] Send me any other updates on projects in the wrong place.  Is _javascript_ policy building soon?

 [Duane]: Yes, just need to check in the changes.

 [Paul]: How come the page doesn't show the green light, it does build

 [Others see green]:  Just needed to refresh

 [Paul]: Info card generation - still shows red,  Jim and I can't figure out why it doesn't build.   ...Issue with java 1.5...target..

 [?]: It would be nice if we could kick off a build during day to fix problems

 [Paul]:  Clickable red LED's.  (if the build didn't work, you could re-run the build)

 [Paul]:  The next call is next Thursday...   See you next  week.

Back to the top