Re: [higgins-dev] STS profile problems

Where did the idea that a JNDI context provider only has one digital subject come from?  That is not the case.  Once a context is open, there are methods for obtaining/creating any number of digital subjects - getSubject, addSubject.  The subject ID returned by open is simply the subject ID of the digital subject whose credentials were passed in.  There is no presumption that this is the one and only digital subject that has to be retrieved or even will be retrieved.

As to information cards containing the subject ID, remember that there is already a user credential specified in the card.  The user credential is what is passed to the STS to identify the digital subject whose claims are to be retrieved.  When the user credential type is username/password, it is possible to actually use a single card to retrieve claims for many digital subjects.  I would recommend that subject ID NOT be part of the card ID (if that is what is being proposed here - it's not clear to me what is being proposed).

I have created an entire IdP using IdAS (see http://wag.bandit-project.org).  It is a servlet coded in JSP and deployed on Tomcat.  It is capable of creating users (profiles), maintaining user profiles, issuing managed cards, and issuing security tokens.  It incorporates the higgins STS for issuing security tokens.  It happens to use the JNDI context provider, but is not limited to it.  It has been built using IdAS functionality to keep it independent.  The context provider is configurable, as are many other things.  There is a web interface for configuring and administering it (the admin URL is http://wag.bandit-project.org/TokenService/admin.jsp).  If you would like, you can take a look at the code by downloading the tarball at the following location:

The sts-1.0.654.tar.gz file contains all of the source.  Look in the *.jsp files to see how I use IdAS.  We have built this open source solution in the hopes that it would be helpful to others who want to create an IdP that uses Higgins components.

Daniel

>>> "Sergey Lyakhov" <slyakhov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 7/26/2007 7:01 AM >>>
Paul,

> Why do you think this is bad/peculiar?

According to IContext interface, IContext.open() method can return ID of
DigitalSubject.  It assumes, that each instance of IContext contains exactly
one DigitalSubject (or some default subject). But I think this is special
case of JNDI provider (one DigitalSubject per Context), and we should not
accept this rule for all CPs. Context should be able to contain more then
one DigitalSubject. So, I propose:

1. Change the result type of IContext.open() from String to void.

2. If we need to get some DigitalSubject from the Context we MUST have
subjectID of required Subject. In other words, if  we need to get
DigitalSubject with claim values of some card, this card should contain both
contextID and subjectID.

In case of JNDI CP, empty string can be used as subjectID because this CP
always contain one DigitalSubject per Context. In any case we need standard
way to get DigitalSubject from Context.

Thanks,
Sergey Lyakhov