Re: [higgins-dev] Proposed Configuration Layout for Context Providers

I think all ContextFactories should be configurable.
I am concerned that - by creating a configuration section for each Context
instance - we are creating a situation where creating a new Context
instance requires reconfiguration.
I am not saying that a particular ContextFactory can't manage its own data
(aka Contexts) thru Configuration, just that it should not be a given that
each Context would be configured separately.

Thanks,
Mike

higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 05/29/2007 08:08:19 PM:

> [...]
> To serve the interim and long term solutions, I was thinking we
> could model it such that the context config and factory config were
> at the same level (sibling elements rather than one nested in another).
>
> Jim

> I imagine these could be combined somehow if you've got an idea but
> the Context Factory may need it's own configuration, for example for
> pooling settings etc.  I suppose the global Context Provider section
> we have could serve the same purpose but the one was for the Context
> Factory and the other was for all Context Providers so I separated
> them.  What were you thinking there that would serve both the
> interim and XRI resolution?
>
> Tom

> I'm not clear on the need for different configuration for a context
> factory and a context provider.
>
> Also, the XRI/XRDS proposal (as I understand it) will have a
> resolver examining a context ID (URI) and finding an XRDS service
> endpoint which will contain the context config.  After finding that,
> the context provider/factory config is found (using the value of the
> <type> elements).  So that model has a much looser coupling between
> the two kinds of configurations, and resolution happens backward
> from what's below.  I'm not sure how consequential that is to this
> interim solution, but it might be good to get some relatively
> similar practical experience if we model the interim solution more
> closely to the proposed XRI/XRDS solution.
>
> I'm using http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/IdAS_Registries_Proposal_2B
> as a reference
>
> Jim

> There are several consumers, pieces of functionality, and use cases
> that we have to support from a configuration standpoint in our
> Context Providers including:
>
> 1. XRI, XRDS
> 2. STS
> 3. Policy Decision Points
> 4. Factory Configuration
> 5. Multi-Context Shared and Context Specific Configuration
>
> This e-mail stems from these areas.  For the moment, my biggest
> questions surrounds #1 and whether the general layout I'm proposing
> below is a proper usage of the configuration code.
>
> So, I propose that our Context Configuration look something like
> this (followed by the "whys"):
>
> <Setting Name="{My}ContextFactoryConfiguration" Type="htf:map">
> <!-- Context Factory specific settings. -->
> <Setting Name="..." >
> <Setting Name="{My}ContextProviderConfiguration Type="htf:map">
> <!-- Context Provider global settings. -->
> <Setting Name="jsPolicySharedScope" Type="js:jsPolicySharedScope">
> <![CDATA[
> ]]>
> </Setting>
> <Setting Name="{Context ID 1}" Type="htf:map">
> <!-- Context specific settings. -->
> <Setting Name="ContextConfig" Type="htf:map">
> <Setting Name="Connection" Type="htf:map">
> <Setting Name="Addresses" Type="htf:list">
Type="xsd:anyURI">ldap://localhost:50389</Setting>