Sent: Friday, May 25, 2007 8:08 PM
Subject: RE: [higgins-dev] Two bug fixes to HOWL (higgins.owl)[nonbreakingchange]

SergeyL wrote:

Paul,

> 2) bug fix: allowed the range of higgins:attribute to be either
> higgins:Value (as it was) or higgins:Attribute (new--this object is the
> holder of metadata about the entire set of values (i.e. "ranges") of a
set
> of higgins:attributes

1. SimpleValue can not contain attributes (only ComplexValue can), so it
will be more correct to allow the range of higgins:attribute to be
ComplexValue, not Value.

Both ComplexValue and SimpleValue are sub-classes of Value. By stating the
range as Value we allow both possibilities.

2. Really higgins:attribute is a property of DS (or complex value) that
contains higgins:Value (simple or complex). What sence is there for
higgins:Attribute class to be the range of higgins:attribute? Do you mean
that we should use the same property to store as values of attribute as
metadata of this attribute?

All will become more clear as I work on some examples. But here is where I'm
headed...

The higgins:Attribute is a holder of metadata for a set of higgins:Values.

Here is an example of its use: Consider foo:eyeColor to be a property of a
DS (a sub-property of higgins:attribute property). Imagine three instances
of this eyeColor property: two of them point to higgins:Values (e.g. two
higgins:Strings having associated literal values of "blue" and "green"
respectively), and the third points to a higgins:Attribute that holds
metadata about the set of Values. As a trivial example, this
higgins:Attribute could hold the metadata property "numberOfValues" and have
a range/value of "2".

Thus the metadata (numberOfValues = 2) is bound to the values
("blue","green") as follows:
 * the relevant ObjectProperty instances (all three of them) have the same
URI (in our example, "foo:eyeColor)
 * we follow a convention that there is at most one higgins:Attribute
instance for a given higgins:attribute sub-property

-Paul

Thanks,
Sergey Lyakhov