Re: [higgins-dev] configuration component requirements

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/org.eclipse.higgins/plugins/org.eclipse.higgins.configuration.common/committer.psf?root=Technology_Project&view=co

>>> Michael McIntosh <mikemci@xxxxxxxxxx> 5/17/07 9:32 AM >>>
I checked in several projects earlier today including:
        org.eclipse.higgins.configuration.api
        org.eclipse.higgins.configuration.common

Thanks,
Mike

higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 05/17/2007 11:22:22 AM:

> [...]

> <higgins-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> "Higgins (Trust Framework) Project developer discussions" <higgins-
> dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> cc
>
> higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Subject
>
> Re: [higgins-dev] configuration component requirements
>

> The way I understand it, the object is a standard holder of
> configuration settings.  The other components can use it how and
> when they want -- they'll need to have a configure method that takes
> in an IConfiguration object.  So I think this would work either way.
> If an already-initialized component has its configure method called,
> it could say "No, I'm already configured," or it could accept the
> new information and reconfigure dynamically.
>
> What we're standardizing is the way to pass such information in, so
> that (a) it's programmatic, rather than file-based, and (b) each
> component does not need to define its own data structure for doing this.
>
> (Again, this is what I thought I heard -- others can correct me, if
> I'm wrong.)
>
> ...Greg
>

> Anthony Nadalin wrote:
> So I have not looked at code but is this also for runtime config or
> just initialization configuration ?
>
> Anthony Nadalin | Work 512.838.0085 | Cell 512.289.4122
> [image removed] Greg Byrd <gbyrd@xxxxxxxx>

> Greg Byrd <gbyrd@xxxxxxxx>
> Sent by: higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
> 05/16/2007 10:09 AM
>
> Please respond to
> "Higgins \(Trust Framework\) Project developer discussions"
> <higgins-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> [image removed]

> [image removed]
> "Higgins (Trust Framework) Project developer discussions" <higgins-
> dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> [image removed]
>
> cc
>
> [image removed]
>
> [image removed]
>
> Subject
>
> [image removed]
> [higgins-dev] configuration component requirements
>
> [image removed]
>
> [image removed]
>

> I'm trying to nail down requirements for the Configuration
> component. I've looked at Mike's configuration code for the STS, and
> I think I understand it fairly well. I'm not quite sure what should
> be carried over into the cross-cutting component, and what should be
> generalized.
>
> What I'm thinking so far (and most of this comes verbatim from Mike's
code):

> (1) An ISetting interface that encapsulates a name, a type, and a
> value (all strings) for a configuration setting.
>
> (2) An IConfiguration interface, so that objects of this type can be
> passed in to component-specific configuration methods. As it is now,
> IConfiguration only has get methods -- to get a single ISetting, or
> the Map (where ISettings are indexed by name), or an iterator over the
Map.