Re: [higgins-dev] configuration component requirements

Mike,

Commenting on this quote from bullet 2, "As it is now, IConfiguration only has get methods" and all of bullet three.

I thought the goal of the configuration component was to separate the storage of configuration data from the initialization of the components, such that the components would not have a dependancy on a specific format for saving the config data. From a tooling and exploiters perspective, applications will need to edit and set configuration of components. The application should have the option of the format to store the data, but Higgins could provide base providers for the configuration store (properties file, etc.).

I see the runtime aspect of passing configuration to a component for initialization, or dynamic configuration change a separate component from the ability to read from a configuration store, and separate from the ability to set a configuration store.

David

David Kuehr-McLaren
Tivoli Security
919.224.1960

Greg Byrd <gbyrd@xxxxxxxx>
Sent by: higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/17/2007 09:38 AM

Please respond to
"Higgins \(Trust Framework\) Project developer discussions"        <higgins-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"Higgins (Trust Framework) Project developer discussions" <higgins-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
Re: [higgins-dev] configuration component requirements

The way I understand it, the object is a standard holder of configuration settings.  The other components can use it how and when they want -- they'll need to have a configure method that takes in an IConfiguration object.  So I think this would work either way.  If an already-initialized component has its configure method called, it could say "No, I'm already configured," or it could accept the new information and reconfigure dynamically.

What we're standardizing is the way to pass such information in, so that (a) it's programmatic, rather than file-based, and (b) each component does not need to define its own data structure for doing this.

(Again, this is what I thought I heard -- others can correct me, if I'm wrong.)

...Greg

Anthony Nadalin wrote:

So I have not looked at code but is this also for runtime config or just initialization configuration ?

Inactive hide details for Greg Byrd <gbyrd@xxxxxxxx>Greg Byrd <gbyrd@xxxxxxxx>

Greg Byrd <gbyrd@xxxxxxxx>
Sent by:
higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/16/2007 10:09 AM

Please respond to
"Higgins \(Trust Framework\) Project developer discussions"
<higgins-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"Higgins (Trust Framework) Project developer discussions"
<higgins-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject

[higgins-dev] configuration component requirements

I'm trying to nail down requirements for the Configuration component. I've looked at Mike's configuration code for the STS, and I think I understand it fairly well. I'm not quite sure what should be carried over into the cross-cutting component, and what should be generalized.

What I'm thinking so far (and most of this comes verbatim from Mike's code):

(1) An ISetting interface that encapsulates a name, a type, and a value (all strings) for a configuration setting.

(2) An IConfiguration interface, so that objects of this type can be passed in to component-specific configuration methods. As it is now, IConfiguration only has get methods -- to get a single ISetting, or the Map (where ISettings are indexed by name), or an iterator over the Map.

(3) Should we then provide a set of implementations that convert data from various forms to the map described above? For example, Mike's ConfigurationHandler and the other various SettingHandler types allow an XML file/stream to be parsed. Should this be in the Configuration component, or is it specific to STS? Should we create other components, such as a property file reader, or should this be done on an as-needed basis by different component owners?

...Greg