Re: [higgins-dev] How To Create Automated Build Scripts: Questions

Hi Tom,

When we decided that we need automated builds on eclipse server we had
no idea how do that and one of the biggest problem was: how to produce
eclipse plugins from command line. Searching documentation on eclipse
community we found this:
http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-PDE-Automation/automation.html
It turned out that there is no other way to produce eclipse plugins
from command line then to use org.eclipse.releng.basebuilder project.
Next our step was to look out how to other eclipse projects doing
their builds and take that as an example. As a result we got what we
have now in org.eclipse.higgins.releng.auto.

If you read the article above this may help to understand what #4, #5
and #6 are all about.

On #2, we were planning to provide information on
available downloads in real time. I meant not to use direct links to
available components and builds on the downloads page. desc.xml was
designed to use by
http://www.eclipse.org/higgins/ver2/downloadsnew.php script to parse
folder content and get an information how to display each folder in
the higgins downloads area
(/home/data/httpd/download.eclipse.org/technology/higgins folder on
build.eclipse.org). Below are three rules used for desc.xml:
  a) If some folder does not contain desc.xml then its content doesn't
  displayed.
  b) If some folder is a root folder for some component it contains
  generic information about component and so, there is no sense to
  generate it.
  c) For folders with build results desc.xml contains information about
  this build and so, it is generated at build time using template from
  "runtime".

On #3, right now index.php is neither required buy build
process nor buy downloads and actually, is a rudiment from a projects
used as an example.

On #8, I can't say that I'm happy with current state either but we
have what we have. Some time ago we're trying to move away from using
basebuilder in our build scripts to make them more clear but we lost a
person who worked on this stuff and right now we have no resources to
continue.

Valery