Re: [higgins-dev] IdAS update proposals

I added Option 3.a.1 for this

>>> "Jim Sermersheim" <jimse@xxxxxxxxxx> 4/16/07 10:35 AM >>>
So instead of a TransactionSemantics class which is passed to update operations, we would (optionally) pass an ITransaction instance.  This would allow one to build up multiple concurrent transactions (rather than only a single as Option 3.a allows).

In absence of the ITransaction, the update would be applied immediately.

There would be some kind of ITransaction beginTransaction() method, as well as an abortTransaction(ITansaction) and commitTransaction(ITransaction) method.
The ITransaction interface could allow us to specify semantics like "ignore failures" if needed.

Do people want to keep the current update methodology until this can be discussed at the next F2F?  Again, we can't write an LDAP CP unless we at least have enough transactional integrity to support making updates to multiple attributes on a single subject at once.

Jim

>>> Michael McIntosh <mikemci@xxxxxxxxxx> 4/16/07 6:28 AM >>>
On transactions ...

As a general principal, I don't want to pay the overhead of certain
functionality in Higgins, but I want to make sure its possible/practical
to add it to derived products. So load balancing/clustering, real audit,
real access control, real transactions all need to be supportable in
derived products - but don't need to be fully supported in the reference
implementation. We do however, need to put the plug points into the
reference implementation so these enterprise level capabilities can be
added without modifying existing code.

In the case of transactions, we'd likely want multiple operations to be
part of the same transaction. For instance, an update that crosses
multiple contexts, or one that must be audited should include the commit
of an associated audit record.

So I think we should consider separating the Transaction into its own
interface, which can be passed into various update methods. I know this
introduces a lot of complexity, and I would not want to add it until we've
discussed it at length (probably a f2f agenda item), but its something we
need to consider.

Thanks,
Mike