Re: [higgins-dev] What happened to createSubject()?

Jim,

That is what I am looking for.  For the ansynchronous case, I agree that it could be an entirely separate topic.  Actually, a smart (ie more difficult to implement) ansynchronous provider could pretend that it is a synchronous provider by combining the identity registry with any pending addSubject() requests.

Alex

"Jim Sermersheim" <jimse@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

03/28/2007 12:19 PM

Please respond to
"Higgins \(Trust Framework\) Project developer discussions"        <higgins-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"Higgins (Trust Framework) Project developer discussions" <higgins-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [higgins-dev] What happened to createSubject()?

Alex,

For the first case, the user does this:

String newID = myContext.addSubject(<subjectType>, <attributes>, <metadata>);

The context implementation figures out what the cuid should be (likely based on the attributes passed in) and returns that cuid as the return argument.  I think this is exactly what you're asking for below.

In regards to the second case, all IdAS methods are synchronous right now.  When execution returns from addSubject, then that means the subject has been added.  If this requires a long period of time, it will take a long time for execution to return.  If we need to add asynchronous methods, I think we need to open up an entirely separate topic for that.

Jim

>>> Alexander Amies <aamies@xxxxxxxxxx> 3/28/07 11:42 AM >>>

Jim,

Two cases that are difficult here are (1) when the user requesting the account doesn't know what the cuid is and (2) when the request is asynchronous.

For the first example, in many cases the cuid is an organization's policy not the user's choice.  It may be an employee number of a set convention based on surname and initials.  As an example, I would not be allowed to choose the cuid 'root' or 'Administrator' if I was to request an account on a UNIX or Windows system.  So then we submit an addSubject request with no cuid (say null), then the impementation figures out what it should be, and then tells the user.  This is going to be difficult or impossible with the present interface.

For the second use case, suppose that you submit a request to create an account for some time in the future or subject to a human doing some work.  This is very common for employee or contractor accounts when the employee does not start until some point in the future or some kind of approval is needed.  If you call back after the addSubject() call then the user may not have been added to the registry.  The user may be somewhere in a schedule table or a workflow system and it may be difficult to retrieve the information from there.  Suppose that you have a contractor with a contract expiration period and you want to suspend or delete the account at the end of the contact period.  If you don't have a IDigitalSubject after immediately after adding the account then you have to wait until they appear in the registry.

Alex

"Jim Sermersheim" <jimse@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

03/27/2007 04:00 PM

Please respond to
"Higgins \(Trust Framework\) Project developer discussions"        <higgins-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"Higgins (Trust Framework) Project developer discussions" <higgins-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [higgins-dev] What happened to createSubject()?

The least common denominator use-case is that callers of IContext.addSubject do not need a full-blown IDigitalSubject instance to be returned.  So, the thought was that when an IDigitalSubject was needed, one could call IContext.getSubject using the returned cuid, like:

IDigitalSubject myNewSubject = myContext.getSubject(myContext.addSubject(<args>), <null, or attr list>);

Are there cases that can't be met by the above?

If we want IContext.addSubject to return an IDigitalSubject instance, we would also want to allow an attrSelectionList argument (see IContext.getSubject) to also be passed.  It seemed a bit much during the refactoring.

Jim

>>> Alexander Amies <aamies@xxxxxxxxxx> 3/27/07 3:47 PM >>>

I noticed in last night's build there is no createSubject() method on IContext.  Sorry if this has been discussed before but there is no search on the mail archive to check (any plans on adding this?).

I think that it was a good move to only have either an addSubject or a createSubject() but the createSubject() returned a IDigitalSubject, which will be important in a few use cases.

(1) In UNIX and a number of other user registries a user account is normally created with a user name and a few other optional attributes.  The UNIX ui is created automatically by the system.  I thought that the return IDigitalSubject on createSubject() was a good way to pass this back.  There may be other attributes automatically created, such as home directory, email address, etc.

(2) In asynchonous account creation it may be useful to pass back the IDigitalSubject with the requested attributes and a pending status.

Alex

Alex Amies
aamies@xxxxxxxxxx
Tivoli Identity Manager
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/tivoli/products/identity-mgr/
714 438 5085

"Sergey Lyakhov" <slyakhov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

03/27/2007 09:51 AM

Please respond to
"Higgins \(Trust Framework\) Project developer discussions"        <higgins-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"'Higgins \(Trust Framework\) Project developer discussions'" <higgins-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Vadim Synakh <synakh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Igor Tsinman'" <igor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Paul Trevithick <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject
Re: [higgins-dev] IdAS is now Java 1.4

Jim,

> - If the IdAS consumer got the IProperty instance from IContext.buildAttribute, and then called setValue, we can assume it > sets the value only on the in-memory IProperty instance (I think)

Yes, in my opinion, buildSimpleValue, buildComlexValue and buildAttribute methods should always create only "in-memory" objects.

> Let's assume there was a setValue method on IProperty.  What are the exact semantics of it?

> - If the IProperty instance was gotten by the IdAS consumer by calling IDigitalSubject.getAttribute, would setValue cause > that value to be updated on the underlying data at that point in time?

> - If the IdAS consumer got an IProperty instance from IContext.buildAttribute, then used that IProperty instance to call
> IContext.addSubject, and after that called setValue on the IProperty instance, does that update the value on the new
> subject in the context?

Because IContext doesn't support transactions, I think this operation (IProperty.setValue) should immediately update the value if Subject was already "added" to the Context (in terms of previous IdAS model where were two methods  createSubject(....,  boolean add) and addSubject(IDigitalSubject subject)). If subject is not yet added to the context it is "in-memory" object and all operations with such Subject are also "in-memory".

As I understand,
updateSubject(String cuid, Iterator updates) method was added to IContext interface to provide some data integrity support. However it doesn't work if we need to update more then one Subject per one "transaction". In my opinion the best decision was to add to IContext some methods like commitChanges() and discardChanges(). So, objects like UpdateOperation should be generated implicitly by calling methods like setValue(), createSubject(), addAttribute() etc. if the context is based on some technology which doesn't support transactions directly.

> - If the IdAS consumer uses the same IProperty instance when creating two Digital Subjects (via IContext.addSubject),
> and then calls setValue on that IProperty instance, does it update both Digital Subjects?

> - If the IProperty instance was gotten by the IdAS consumer by calling IDigitalSubject.getAttribute, and then used that
> IProperty instance to create a new Digital Subject, would setValue update both Digital Subjects?

> If we allow IProperty instances to be used to update the Digital Subjects to which they are associated, it means Context
> Providers will need to maintain associations between IProperty instances and the Digital Subject(s) to which the IdAS
> consumer has associated them.

I think we need to create a new "stored" instance of IProperty for each stored Digital Subject regardless of which type of IProperty ("stored" or "in-memory") was passed to setValue(). In this case there will be no any two or more Subjects which refers to the same "stored" instance of attribute, metadata or value.

> Each Attribute in the data model is distinguished by it's Attribute Type + Metadata combination.

> The IAttribute would actually have to be populated with it's type and all the metadata in order to
> distinguish it from other attributes of the same type.

It is difficult to agree with it. We think that Attribute should not be obliged to always have some (and unique) Metadata. Also we need to analize metadata of all Attributes to define which Attribute should be updated, that requires some time. From the other hand, if we call setValue() method we know exactly which Attribute should be updated.

In addition, to resolve problems with multiple values (as simple as complex) of attribute I propose to add some CollectionAttribute to IdAS model. So we will have exactly one value for SimpleAttribute and for ComplexAttribute, and resolve a problem with ComplexAttribute that now unable to have more than one complex value.

Thanks,

Sergey Lyakhov