Re: [higgins-dev] Notes from today's dev call

Just for the record, I'm from NC State, not UNC.  :-)

...Greg

Paul Trevithick wrote:

Attendees

---------

Brian Carrol - Serena

Mary Ruddy - SocialPhysics/Parity

Greg Byrd - UNC/IBM

BrianC, MaryR, Greg, PaulT, TonyN,

Paul Trevithick - SocialPhysics/Parity

Tony Nadlin - IBM

Mike McIntosh - IBM

Valary Kokhan - Parity Ukraine

Nataraj Nagaratnam - IBM

David Kuehr-Mclaren - IBM

Alex Amies - IBM

Jim Sermersheim - Novell

Abhi Schelat - IBM

Agenda

======

1. Mary: IP status update

2. Reminder about the XRI IP call

3. Next F2F in Austin

4. Status updates by component owners

   a. HBX & RPPS (Abhi/Maxim)

   b. i-card manager (Paul for SergeyY)

   c. Token Service (MikeM) esp. builds, doc, etc.

   d. IdAS registry status (Jim)

   e. New Context Providers: file, mapping/policy 5. Service interfaces (esp IdAS) 6. OSIS-interop scenarios see [1] (esp. OpenID) 7. RP Enablement: Higgins project scope discussion.

Relationship to Pamela project, Heraldry's dissolution.

[1] http://osis.netmesh.org/wiki/Interop_Use_Cases

Discussion

==========

1. IP status update

-------------------

Mary: I reviewed all open items with Eclipse Legal yesterday. A total of 4 Higgins CQ’s are now fully approved. Some items need the actual source, or we need to  revisit the version number we want reviewed. Now that EclipseCON is over, Legal plans a review for the accelerated pre-approval for incubator projects.

Mary: Thanks again to Higgins presenters at EclipseCON. There was interest from other projects for using Higgins (including OHF and Corona) and [of course] having Higgins provide the sign-in solution for RCP.

EclipseCon 2007

---------------

- Higgins/ALF interoperation demonstration by Brian and Mike

- Paul gave a short talk overview of Higgins

- Mary gave a talk on open source innovation

- There were some good discussion with MikeM

- Mary and Paul talked to the Eclipse OHF project

2. XRI IP call today at 5pm ET (details on the list)

- 2PM PT/ 4PM CT / 5PM ET on Thursday

- Dial in: 1-641-297-5600, passcode 762425

3. F2F will now be the week of 4/30 in Austin

- Raj: We'll want a session on IdAS service interfaces

4a HBX & RPPS Status

--------------------

Paul mentioned that on Monday Abhi's team was able to commit the "Zurich" stream of HBX and RPPS and that now Parity Ukraine would try to merge these into a single HBX.

Tony questioned whether we really can or should try to merge all features into a single HBX. Paul mentioned that this certainly was his hope.

There was a discussion that we agreed we'd continue at the F2F about balancing complexity management with making this easy for the user (the paramount consideration), etc.

Paul: One more item. We've started a dialog with Kevin Miller the developer of the Firefox Perpetual Motion add-on. He's looking into EPL licensing and would like to collaborate with us.

4b I-Card Manager Status

------------------------

Paul mentioned that Sergey Yakovlev (Parity Ukraine) is working on a new I-Card Manager UI and that work should begin to surface in a couple of weeks.

4c: Token Service Status

------------------------

Paul mentioned that he knew that the Eclipse ALF project (Brian), and ooTao (Andy Dale) have been able to build and deploy the token service. Mike mentioned that Praveen <unknown> from AOL has too.

Paul: we are working on building automated build scripts

Mike: that would be very beneficial. We're getting more and more folks asking questions, etc. and servicing the interrupts is taking a lot of cycles

Mike: the simple XML-based context provider isn't writable right now.

Valery: you could use the Jena based provider. I don't think it is too difficult to use.

Mike: we have a de facto profile for how we interact with the context provider by the STS. I haven't even tried to use the Jena one. Valery, have you documented the steps to deploy the Context Provider?

Valery: not yet.

Mike: I can try it but my guess is that it has to be customized in order to support the attribute set required by the TS. We need to figure out those details. I'm stuck with using the ones I know how to configure.

Valery: I will try to document how to work with the Jena-based provider. When you create a context it requires a schema.

Mike mentioned that his goal is to make his code as CP-independent as possible and that the differences in how they are configured makes this difficult.

4d: IdAS registry status

------------------------

Paul asked about the status on implementation of the new registry design?

Jim said that he'd been working through a wave of refactoring based on the update changes (and also some java 1.4 changes) first and hadn't yet gotten to it and was looking for volunteers.

Paul mentioned that Valery had some code to contribute to this effort.

4e: New CPs

-----------

There was a question about the motivation behind the new "mapping" (aka policy) Context Providers that have been mentioned on the list recentsly.

Jim: the current JNDI provider has a bunch of LDAP-isms in it. They are not Higgins URIs that we need. So the JNDI provider needed a way to turn "mail" into something appropriate. We started to put the code in but then we realized that other Context Providers that are serving up different kinds of back ends too. Eg. in LDAP everything looks like a dn. We decided rather than have a lot of different providers with different configurations, etc. It would be nice if we had one general purpose CP that consumed a CP. It can be set up in front of any CP and the mappings put it. This could give a nice consistent way to do this mapping. The reason the CP name has the word policy in it is that every method runs through this thing. You could do much more than mapping (e.g. access control, etc.).

5. Service interfaces

--------------------

Tony expressed that we need to examine the Higgins APIs from a service interfaces point of view and begin considering the service descriptions as primary and the language bindings as derivative instead of the other way around. For example, we seem to be putting details into the APIs that probably can't be put into the service interfaces (e.g. for IdAS). He mentioned that David Kueher-McLaren and Alex Amies have been looking into the gap between the Java APIs we have and what might work with web services interfaces. David said he'd been looking at IBMs use cases and working with Alex on this.

6. OSIS Interop

---------------

Paul mentioned about the work at OSIS underway planning an industry wide interop event at Catalyst in June. See [1] above.

He pointed folks to this link and mentioned that the three separate Higgins/OpenID interop scenarios are buried in this page.

7. Higgins Scope WRT relying party code

---------------------------------------

There was agreement that it *is* within Higgins scope to develop "Relying Party Code" and that this code should be multi-protocol (e.g. not limited to just CardSpace support). We will work on interoperability with the Pamela project. We will be creating our own code. We'll reach out to Pam Dingle and try to collaborate as much as possible with her.

Misc

----

Brian: We're consuming STS, IdAS, and the JNDI provider. To date we've been building from the HEAD, but it might be time to tag stable builds.

Mike: nightly builds are a pre-requisite.

Paul: Parity Ukraine is working on those. Hopefully done in a couple of weeks from now.

Abhi: Announcement: the IP issues related to the idemix code should resolved by tomorrow.

Action items

* Work on agenda for F2F

* Logistics for new date for F2F

* Valery to document Jena CP deployment/configuration