RE: [higgins-dev] List of specific jardepedencyfilesforJNDIContextProvider

higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 03/03/2007 03:16:07 PM:

> Thanks for chiming in Thor. The goal of the Higgins project as with
> all other Eclipse projects, is that, with a few obvious exceptions
> (e.g. like Tomcat itself, the JVM, etc.), we only wish to depend on
> libraries for which we have redistribution rights, i.e. that have
> gone through Eclipse IP review WRT licenses, etc.  The issues you
> see on this list are short term problems caused by the fact that at
> present we?ve not yet gotten all of the approvals we need. I?m
> hoping that we?ll get past all of this over the next several weeks,
> and thus an otherwise great solution like Maven won?t be needed in
> the long term for Higgins. -Paul

I think as the project evolves we will continue to need new libraries we
don't know about yet - we will always be adding things to the ipZilla
queue - which means the queue will never be empty for long.

My main problem with Maven is that it's not integrated with Eclipse, and I
do not know how to use it. My experience with trying to get Axis2 to build
was not pleasant.

As we have seen with our own component dependency links, owners of
components we rely on frequently change library names, move files, remove
file, etc. Maven can't prevent that - we still need a place were we can
reliably get files.

It there were a plugin for Eclipse that worked like the Ant plugin, and
someone were willing to convert the current builds to maven, I'd be
willing to experiment with this. But as things stand it would just be one
more set of scripts to maintain, and would not solve all of the problems
related to getting access to dependent files.

Perhaps a middle ground might be to create a maven project that goes out
and gets the project dependencies, and copies them into the eclipse
project ./lib directory. Again though, this just leaves us with one more
place to maintain information we also need somewhere else.