[higgins-dev] Revisit eclipse plugin project as wrapper on regular projects

Paul,

At the last F2F, you were toying around with the idea of implementing the eclipse plugins as thin wrapper projects...

At the time, I thought we might not need to do this, and even now, there's not a reason forcing me to want to, but something makes me want to.

To build from the cmd line when eclipse is not installed, I had to make a "compile" type target that's exactly like the one in the eclipse build, except it excludes the plugin code -- I call this "compile-sans-plugin".  This is pretty trivial to do and to copy to other project's builds.  But...

Now that projects have "project dependencies" on other projects, I have to call the "compile-sans-plugin" for all the projects that a project depends on.  This is basically duplicating what the eclipse-generated build file does, except it excludes the plugin stuff.

If the plugin code was removed from each project, I could simply have the eclipse-generated build do the compiles (and sub-project compiles) and I wouldn't have to worry about nearly duplicating all that (and the maintenance worries that go along with it)

Can you talk more about what we'd do to build these wrapper projects?

Jim

Back to the top