RE: [higgins-dev] build input directories

I think this is a little different from what Mike is proposing.

Mike was proposing to add a ./lib directory to each of our higgins eclipse projects and that ./lib directory would (eventually) contain *all* the dependency jars for that project.

You are proposing that each dependency jar would be placed in its own eclipse project and then our higgins eclipse projects would reference these other projects as dependencies (the same way the sts axis service project references the sts core project).

In this way, there is no duplication of jar files, and there's no grouping of them in a single directory either.

I think this would work fine for the eclipse projects.  And since the generated builds will populate build.xml with *.location properties for all dependency projects, we should be able to build jars and wars in our hand-tooled build scripts as well (it'll just take a bit more doing in terms of war building, as each one will have to be specifically called out rather than pulling *.jar from some directory).

However, I'm not sure if putting a dependency from projectA to projectB will auto pull in the dependencies that projectB might have.

Jim

>>> "Paul Trevithick" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 2/5/07 7:16 PM >>>

Mike wrote

> Looking for comments.

<snip>

> As was discussed in the F2F, this will eventually result in each project
> potentially duplicating jars that other projects also use.
> The alternative discussed during the F2F was to create separate projects
> in CVS for each dependent jar.
> Using a large PSF file we could ensure that each project downloaded what
> they needed and each jar would only be checked in once.

Yes. Eclipse best practice is (I believe) to create a separate eclipse
plug-in project for each third party library. This basically means creating
a new plugin project, adding the jar and creating a MANFEST.MF file. Then
eclipse projects can then declare themselves to be dependent on these OTHER
eclipse projects.

> Additionally, the Eclipse Orbit project could hold these dependent jar
> projects for us.

Yes. And to add these "plugin-wrapped" third party jars to Orbit is easy.