RE: [higgins-dev] Thanks - STS up and running

Ok, I agree -- what's done is done.  I just assumed that if someone were a committer, they could commit code -- didn't know there was an issue of when that code was written.

I assume that if I wanted to write/commit a brand new CP (from scratch) I could -- is that correct?  Just making sure I understand it now.

>>> "Paul Trevithick" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 2/5/07 12:20 PM >>>

Jim,

Policies have changed, there have been misunderstandings, lack of clarity, etc. and I'd rather not rehash all of that here in public. You have good reason for "not getting it." In retrospect the LDAP CP code (and the I-Card Manager code) was mishandled. I'd rather not dwell on the past. Mary and I have confidence that things will be much better from here on.

HTH,

-Paul

WRT the Token Service, as Mike McIntosh has just said, he did have to go through a process to contribute the STS code, because his situation is different from the LDAP CP.

From: higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jim Sermersheim
Sent: Monday, February 05, 2007 12:39 PM
To: 'Higgins (Trust Framework) Project developer discussions'
Subject: RE: [higgins-dev] Thanks - STS up and running

I don't get it.

Why was Mike able to check in the STS code?  I assumed that we could check in newly authored code whether or not it has dependencies on third-party libraries.  I thought the issue had only to do with the redistribution of the third-party libraries

I mean, how is it different from someone adding a method to IdAS which requires some third-party jar file and telling people they'll need to manually grab that jar until we get the IP issues ironed out?

Jim

>>> "Paul Trevithick" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 2/5/07 10:01 AM >>>
>
> > 5) Life would be much easier if we checked in the LDAP CP to
> > Eclipse.  Can we go ahead and do this (even though the dependency .
> > jars are still in a holding pattern)?
>
> This would help prevent a lot of problems. This would have identified
> issue with IdAS interface changes breaking the CP and would make it easier
> to ensure that IdAS and CP jars were consistent with each other and would
> allow source lines to be provided for exception logs.

We've been on the phone this morning with Eclipse asking for acceleration on
this (and for the I-Card Manager code). This should be resolved very soon.
Stay tuned.

-Paul