RE: [higgins-dev] WAR file builds

Maybe that's what I'm saying (good of you to propose something!).  Trying that on for size:

We could keep a war target in the buildaux.xml (in this case for the axis1.x service project) and this war could include all known Higgins context providers.

We could build one <deploymentName>.xml build file per component which has its own war target.  I wasn't sure how target name conflicts were handled so I tried this.  I build a file called Deployment.CardSpaceManagedCard.xml and put it in the org.eclipse.higgins.bindings.axis1x.service directory and then re-exported a new build.xml for that project.  That caused a new target to appear which is called "Deployment.CardSpaceManagedCard.war".

So, yeah we could do it this way, and so could anyone else who wants to create their own brand of deployment.  Meaning, they could use one of our deployment build scripts as a template, drop their new script into the correct project, re-export the build.xml and then build their own war file.  Assuming we want to go this way:

- Do we want to maintain a kind of 'uber-war' target which includes everything?
- Do we want to keep these deployment ant build scripts in cvs with the projects they need to be associated with?

I assume yes on both questions.

Jim

>>> "Paul Trevithick" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 2/1/07 11:17 AM >>>

Jim,

Maybe what you are saying is we should make a distinction between what the Components page (and its associated nightly build scripts) addresses (e.g. plugins and JARs) and what the Deployments page addresses:

  • Components page build scripts, ide/cli, etc. should only target plugins and JARs (not WARs.)
  • Deployments page build scripts should create one very limited, specific WAR (or other deployable or executable packages of one or more Compontents/projects). [For deployments that are web services the intent is to host (using Eclipse servers) a running instance of the service at an URL in the "URL" column of the deployment description table.]

-Paul