RE: [higgins-dev] A simple firstname attribute in the Higgins dialect of OWL

I feel I must reply since I am an example in this thread. Yes, Tony and Paul are correct, I am so old that I have used punch cards and teletypes. It was shortly after the discovery of fire. Now to the real issue...

BTW, I think it's GREAT that Paul is putting together examples like this. I know I glaze over on too much OWL discussion. A specific example helps a lot.

In this issue, it seems to me that the display name is part of the schema -- the attribute definition. Whereas the "real" data is actually the attribute value -- the value of and instance of the attribute. Not the display name of the attribute type. So I am not seeing a problem here. The display name goes in the OWL for the definition of the attribute type understood by the CP. The data comes from the punch cards as it is read by the CP. More specifically, the display name applies to potentially many attribute instances, from values from many punch cards. And there may be localized display names as well.

I think this is the same as what Paul says, but I think of it in different terms. Value or instance data vs. type or schema data.

Is there still a problem, Tony?

--Dale

>>> "Paul Trevithick" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 01/31/07 6:52 PM >>>
I need to make a distinction between the *real* data (as you call it and
I*ll continue using your term) and what a Context Provider actually presents
at the IdAS level. The CP is responsible for normalizing this real data and
declaring the schema/ontology of that normalized data. As one part of this
normalization process let*s consider what the CP does for one single
attribute in the real data. It must not only make the value of the attribute
available, but it must also declare the type (as a URI) of the attribute.
Let*s say that this attribute*s type URI is declared by the CP as
http://example.com/firstname. The CP must provide a schema (in response to
*getSchema* (soon to be renamed *export*)) that includes a section of OWL
that describes http://example.com/firstname. Within this OWL the CP may
choose to include a display data object with a display label sub- object
that, for the English language, has the value *First Name*. If the CP was
written back when Dale was going to school and all we had was punch cards,
the recently written CP might still choose to include a display data object
with a display label sub- object so that it can be displayed on computers
with visual displays.

  _____