Re: [higgins-dev] Two proposed IdAS changes

How is Jim to know what pleases the court?  We need to make progress, if it pleases the court to be specific about what it DOES want to do AND how that is done, we can move past this and bandit can be a nice happy consumer, supporter, and contributor to higgins.

Thanks,
Tom

>>> Anthony Nadalin <drsecure@xxxxxxxxxx> 01/10/07 1:52 PM >>>
How are to know this ? you use a name in the directory path of Bandit ! So
it would simplify things if you just post of Eclipse or send out as jar
files in email as we are not going around poking on servers to find out
what the licensing rules are.

             Jim Sermersheim
             <jimse@xxxxxxxxxx
             Sent by:                  "Higgins (Trust Framework) Project
             higgins-dev-bounc         developer discussions"
             es@xxxxxxxxxxx            <higgins-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             01/10/2007 02:27                                      Subject
             PM                        Re: [higgins-dev] Two proposed IdAS
                                       changes

             Please respond to
             "Higgins \(Trust
                Framework\)
             Project developer
               discussions"
             <higgins-dev@ecli
                 pse.org>

forgeftp.novell.com is not a bandit project, and the only licensing
associated with these pages says this:
Copyright * 2006-2007 Novell Inc. All Rights Reserved.
This program and the accompanying materials are made available under the
terms of the Eclipse Public License v1.0 which accompanies this
distribution, and is available at http://www.eclipse.org/legal/epl-v10.html

Note that this is just temporary doc and only informational just in case
anyone wants to see it in javadoc form.  For anyone forbidden from looking
at links on forgeftp.novell.com (which again, is not a bandit site), just
read the emails and imagine what the doc might look like.  I'd be happy to
upload temp javadoc to an eclipse website in the future if I'm told how.

Jim

Anthony Nadalin wrote:

      Once again, we should be using Eclipse, we will not look at a bandit
      project as it has different licensing, please make all proposals to
      the Eclipse site

      Inactive hide details for Jim Sermersheim <jimse@xxxxxxxxxx>Jim
      Sermersheim <jimse@xxxxxxxxxx>

                         Jim
                         Sermersh
                         eim
                         <jimse@n
                         ovell.co                                       To
                         m>
                         Sent by:          "Higgins (Trust Framework)
                         higgins-          Project developer discussions"
                         dev-boun          <higgins-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                         ces@ecli
                         pse.org                                        cc

                         01/10/20                                  Subject
                         07 12:10
                         PM                Re: [higgins-dev] Two proposed
                                           IdAS changes

         Please respond to
   "Higgins \(Trust Framework\)
  Project developer discussions"
     <higgins-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

      The interfaces in javadoc can be viewed at
      http://forgeftp.novell.com//bandit/HigginsIDASJavadoc/ for the time
      being. Specifically:
      http://forgeftp.novell.com//bandit/HigginsIDASJavadoc/org/eclipse/higgins/idas/IContext.html#open(java.lang.Object
      )
      http://forgeftp.novell.com//bandit/HigginsIDASJavadoc/org/eclipse/higgins/idas/IAuthNPropertiesMaterials.html

      http://forgeftp.novell.com//bandit/HigginsIDASJavadoc/org/eclipse/higgins/idas/impl/AuthNPropertiesMaterials.html

      http://forgeftp.novell.com//bandit/HigginsIDASJavadoc/org/eclipse/higgins/idas/impl/AuthNNamePasswordMaterials.html

      http://forgeftp.novell.com//bandit/HigginsIDASJavadoc/org/eclipse/higgins/idas/impl/AuthNSelfIssuedMaterials.html

      Jim

      Tom Doman wrote:

                  Since I'm one of the ones proposing this, it'd be
                  redundant, if not insincere, to say "sounds good jim,
                  let's go with it!"  So, instead I'll say that we're going
                  to go ahead and try this out today amongst ourselves and
                  get practical experience within the LDAP CP and if that
                  goes well, we'll propose this "all CP" effecting change
                  be checked in to IdAS tomorrow.  Good?

                  Tom

                                                      Jim Sermersheim
                                                      <jimse@xxxxxxxxxx>
                                                      01/09/07 6:42 PM >>>

                  1) We have a need for an IdAS consumer to be able to open
                  a context
                  using some authN materials, and then read the attributes
                  of the DS
                  representing the identity in the authN materials used to
                  open the
                  context.  These authN materials don't contain the cuid of
                  the DS.  They
                  may or may not contain attributes which could be used to
                  search for the
                  DS but this can't be relied on.  Therefore, we propose
                  that
                  IContext.open return a String which is the cuid of the DS
                  representing
                  the identity in the authN materials used to open the
                  context (if any).
                  The string may be null when the identity is not
                  represented by any
                  specific DS in the context.

                  Existing CP's and IdAS consumers would need to be updated
                  for this change.

                  2) We realized the current AuthNNamePasswordMaterials can
                  be seen as
                  similar to other kinds of AuthNMaterials.  One thing many
                  different
                  kinds of AuthNMaterials seem to have in common is that
                  they contain a
                  set of properties that identify the identity.  The
                  proposal is to do this:
                  public interface
                  org.eclipse.higgins.idas.IAuthNPropertiesMaterials
                  extends IHasProperties
                  public class
                  org.eclipse.higgins.idas.impl.AuthNPropertiesMaterials
                  extends BasicPropertySet implements
                  IAuthNPropertiesMaterials
                  public class
                  org.eclipse.higgins.idas.impl.AuthNNamePasswordMaterials
                  extends AuthNPropertiesMaterials
                  public class
                  org.eclipse.higgins.idas.impl.AuthNSelfIssuedMaterials
                  extends AuthNPropertiesMaterials

                  Where AuthNNamePasswordMaterials and
                  AuthNSelfIssuedMaterials have
                  get/set methods for name/pw and ppid/publicKey
                  repectively, and where
                  the implementations store these values as properties.

                  This way a Context Provider can implement IContext.open
                  by examining the
                  class of the passed identity.  If it's something specific
                  like
                  AuthNNamePasswordMaterials, it might know exactly what
                  can be done with
                  it.  Failing that, it may discover that it implements
                  IAuthNPropertiesMaterials and therefore, the property set
                  may be
                  interrogated in order to see if it constitutes a set of
                  attributes which
                  are suitable for describing an identity which can be used
                  to open the
                  context.

                  Existing CP's and IdAS consumers currently implementing
                  or making use of
                  org.eclipse.higgins.idas.AuthNNamePasswordMaterials would
                  need to be
                  updated for this change.

                  Jim