[higgins-dev] Notes from the December 7 Higgins dev call

Attendees
---------
Tom, Mary, Abhi, Duane, Daniel, Andy, Barry, Paul, Heather, Tony, Valery,
Uppili

IIW-related
-----------
- IIW = Internet Identity Workshop 2006b, MountainView, CA
- Mary thanked everyone for the very hard work making the joint
Bandit/Higgins IIW () demos work. They were very well received.
- The "dog-theme" scenario involved integrating a relying party site (called
"Woof") based on MediaWiki, an XACML engine, and Higgins components with the
Microsoft CardSpace subsystem running on XP with an IdP (called "Wag")
comprised of the Higgins STS consuming attributes from a Novell eDirectory
via the Novell-developed Higgins JNDI/LDAP context provider running on
another machine
- It was suggested that we publish a screen-cam capture of the demos
- Paul: the topic of interoperability is bubling up to the top of the hot
list. Phil Windley wants to make it the focus of the next IIW. We led a
session on interoperability, defining the dimensions of it, (essentially
from a "Higgins" point of view).
- Paul got a demo of Sxipper from Dick Hardt. Industry folks like Esther,
Doc Searls, Steve Gilmor, etc. were excited by it. It has an elegant UI to
help a user "project" (Higgins-speak) the user's identity onto web site's
forms. Unlike the Higgins approach (that requires developers to create the
mapping scripts to map the user's attributes to the HTML form elements) Dick
said that there are or soon will be end-user tools to create these maps and
a karma system for the authors (whose names are displayed). Sxipper makes
use of floating translucent overlay windows in its UI. We led a
session/discussion of how to work towards common identity claim types,
schema, etc.

Tony's comments on ITU in Geneva
--------------------------------
- He presented Higgins, etc.
- It was clear that an identity data model that we can all use is important
and needed
- Tony will publish some links from the conference [done]
- There will be a follow up conference in 6 months
- There seemed to be open mindedness about how higher level identity layers
might better integrate/dovetail with lower level network protocols

IdAS and the Demo
-----------------
- Jim suggested that we do a post-mortem on what we learned in putting the
demo together. He suggested that we start by listing the loose ends (and
tricky integration points) that we found, so we don't forget them. Jim will
start a thread on the list about this.
- Jim said that a number of people would like to have a nice self-contained
package that they could install the demo code.
- Paul mentioned that our intent is that we do this at least for the subset
of the demo listed here (http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Deployments) as
"Cardspace Managed Card Provider". We still have Eclipse legal/IP issues to
resolve before this is possible.
- Tom said that Daniel would be the one to work on this

Holiday Calls
- Tony suggested that we publish the schedule for calls over the holiday
season
- Mary volunteered to do this

Back to the top