[higgins-dev] Re: IContextFactory vs IContext instantiation.

>>> Valery Kokhan <vkokhan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 11/15/06 5:09 PM >>>
>Hi Jim,
>
>I'm trying to figure out how to implement IContextFactory for our jena
>based context provided but I can't really understand how to create
>contexts using single parameter provided to IContextFactory.createContext
>method.
Tom highlighted this in his response

>First of all it is a big question what that parameter (URI
>contextRef) really means. Do you have some examples of such
>context refs and their interpretation? How are you using context ref
>parameter in your implementation of LDAP context provider?
The sample I recently sent has an example contextRef. But as Tom mentioned, it feels a little bit hacked together.

>The second problem is that when we're creating some context we need to
>be able to set context's schema (preferably either as InputStream or
>as URL) but where we can get a schema if IContextFactory.createContext
>takes only one parameter?
Today on the #higgins channel, a very similar topic was being talked about (the need for a configure() method).  Also, a context such as your could require that IContext.setSchema be called subsequent to the context being created, and prior to other methods being used.  This solution however seems undesirable as it introduced vendor-specific requirements (it's best if an IdAS consumer can be context agnostic).

>Next problem is that we need a way to configure somehow actual context's
>storage (database connection, file, LDAP directory, etc) for each context
>instance but we can't do this without additional parameters in
>IContextFactory.createContext.
Yeah, same kind of issue Tom brought up as well as what was discussed on IRC today

>I do not think that one-time configuration of context factory could
>help to solve above problems. May be it would be right to add one more
>parameter (probably of type java.util.Properties) to both canCreate
>and createContext methods of IContextFactory?
Agreed -- in fact, as was pointed out on the IRC, people may need to configure/re-configure a context post create.

I trust this will all be completely solved at the F2F :)

Back to the top