[higgins-dev] Other types for Digital Subjects

I'm wondering if there are other identity systems where digital subjects may have "other" types.  Let me explain.  In LDAP, there is the concept of an auxiliary class which allows any entry with that auxiliary class specified on it to legally contain additional attributes.  In my Higgins JNDI context provider, we are currently ignoring specification of the "auxiliary" concept in the OWL ontology but I was wondering if we should create an IdAS API to represent "other" types that this digital subject is.  Or, if we should have a getTypes() API instead of getType().

In LDAP, any given entry will list all of it's inherited types in it's objectClass attribute.  Those can be inferred by simply returning the most derived type from getType() but having access to the others off of the Digital Subject may prevent needless schema scans.  There are also some LDAP implementations that are not X.500 compliant that allow more than one "structural" class to be specified.  I don't know if we should worry about supporting this but if other identity stores have this kind of model, we may want to allow other types through IdAS.  Regardless, LDAP has auxiliary classes that currently cannot be conveyed through IdAS.

Tom

Back to the top