[higgins-dev] RE: IdAS automated build target

<resending to include higgins-dev>

My goals would include:

- The ability of a non-eclipse developer to get the source and build it.

- The ability for us to add whatever ant task we think we want to (right now, there's a javadoc target, using the javadoc ant task, in the future, we may want others).

- Not having to visit two build interfaces to keep things in sync

(Note that some people like to get the source tree and just run "ant jar" or "ant test" or "ant javadoc" from the command line.)

Is full ant functionality surfaced through the IDE?  Last time I used the internal IDE builders, I couldn't do what I wanted, but I'm not very experienced.  OTOH, I haven't yet seen an ant task which can produce an eclipse plugin either.

In the Bandit project, we've used an Ant script and made the eclipse IDE use that ant script (by using an external tool builder and turning off the Java builder). We have not, however built an eclipse plugin this way.

Jim

>>> "Paul Trevithick" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 10/17/06 2:39 PM >>>

Jim,

Once you have defined an Eclipse plug-in in the IDE's GUI, it generates and consumes Ant scripts internally to do its building. With one click you can also export the otherwise hidden build.xml, but that starts to defeat the whole IDE/GUI thing.

-Paul