Re: [higgins-dev] Metadata on values

One other question having to do with metadata:

Right now, Metadata can have simple or complex values.  Do we want to restrict it to having simple values only?

If we leave it as complex, it affects the required capabilities of the filter.  We'll need to be able to express something like:
Find all people where eyeColor has a value of blue and has a source of http://www.colorado.gov/rmv, where that source has a postalAddress which has "Denver" in the city field.

Jim

>>> "Jim Sermersheim" <jimse@xxxxxxxxxx> 10/4/06 2:24 PM >>>
Currently, the APIs allow for metadata on a Digital Subject's Attributes, but doesn't allow metadata to be placed at the value level.  When we were talking about, and deciding this, we were only using simple attribute values as examples.

Do we need metadata on attribute values (whether simple or complex)?  Remember that we can have multiple attributes of the same type, each having its own metadata. This means that one effectively specify metadata on a  per-value basis, and that's why we decided to stop at the Attribute level.

But thinking more about complex attributes (something we at Novell have little experience with in our endpoints), will there be a need for the components of a complex attribute to have metadata?  The current API doesn't allow this.

Jim

Back to the top