RE: [higgins-dev] Updated Generated LDAP Ontology

Tom wrote:

> I went and downloaded a 30 day evaluation copy of Altova's SemanticWorks
> 2006 and was able to answer several of my questions.

Beware: when you create new classes and properties using the GUI it writes
out horribly verbose OWL. If you manually rewrite the OWL to tighten it up,
the editor WILL try to preserve your tightened up code. Bottom line: use the
text editor to create new classes and properties, use the GUI to view and
make minor tweaks.

> 1. As Paul said, it indeed handles the "&" so I'm considering that
> issue resolved.  Protégé just isn't going to cut it as an OWL editor for
> us for that and other reasons I'll detail.

> 2. As I last sent it, my generated ontology was indeed, OWL-Full.
> However, it was not OWL-DL and, as Mark said, we need the equivalencies
> defined in our ontology to make it OWL-DL.  I decided to try them as
> global (without the '#') definitions which is what I wanted from the
> beginning and, voila, it works just fine.  Again, Protégé sent me off on a
> needless chase.  So, I'm also considering this issue resolved.
>
> The only things that are currently preventing the attached ontology from
> being error free as OWL-DL are:
> 1. The absence of authorityRevocationList as an attribute definition (I'm
> currently adopting a garbage in, garbage out philosophy on this one).
> 2. The absence of the some of the base types we discussed like
> Base64BinaryDatatypeAttribute and StringDatatypeAttribute at
> http://www.eclipse.org/higgins/ontologies/2006/higgins.owl.  Paul, could
> you put Higgins0.5.6.owl at this URL?

I have created a new higgins.owl (version 0.5.7). Here are the changes:

- added copyright and EPL license
- added NormalizedStringSimpleAttribute & normalizedStringSimpleValue
- added Base64BinarySimpleAttribute & base64BinarySimpleValue
- renamed *DatatypeAttribute to *SimpleAttribute and corresponding
properties
- renamed *ObjectAttribute to *ComplexAttribute and corresponding properties
- added two new kinds of metadata lastVerifiedFromSource, lastVerifyAttempt
- manual tightening up of the OWL code syntax

Note: The renaming was to line up with Jim's API better.

I have attached it to this email.