Re: [higgins-dev] [IdAS] registered Contexts

(1) What are the use cases you guys have come up with for the
getContexts API?  Seems like those will dictate the answer to your
questions.  Without being sure of the targeted use cases, I could see a
case for each "or" and possibly a hybrid.

(2) Sounds good to me.

Tom

>>> Greg Byrd <gbyrd@xxxxxxxx> 8/15/2006 8:40 AM >>>
For the IdASRegistry, we have methods for registering and browsing both

ContextFactories and Contexts.  I'd like to explore what it means to
register a Context, and what it means for a client to "get" a Context
from the service.

(1) Should the set of registered Contexts (i.e., returned by
IdASRegistry::getContexts) be the ones that have been created by some
Factory?  To "prime the pump", we can have Factories create (but not
open) some set of pre-configured Contexts, so that our brand new IdAS
service has some registered Contexts to offer.  Or should there be a
specific set of registered Contexts -- those that the Factories
specifically want to advertise to the outside world, rather than just
any old Context that some client has managed to create/open?

(2) We currently have a getContexts method (with a filter) that returns

a set of URI's.  Given a particular URI, the client will have to go
through the set of Factories and call canCreate to find a Factory that

can potentially create this Context.  I propose we add a new
getContextFactories(ContextRef) method to IdASFactories to make this
simpler -- it returns Iterable<IContextFactory> that contains all
Factories for which canCreate(ContextRef) is true.  (Note: The current

getContextFactories takes a filter, which I assume is the same filter
as
in the rest of the API, which means that it searches through attributes

and metadata.  My proposal is to add an additional method, not to
remove
or change the exisiting one.)

...Greg