RE: [higgins-dev] Searching within a context

Oh, the URN was just a mock-up of a property name. I assumed properties would be named using (globally) unique identifiers. I didn't assume the property name would include the name of the digital subject of which it's a part. Do we have some example property names floating around?

>>> "Paul Trevithick" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 5/23/06 7:38 AM >>>

Jim wrote:

We have the need to be able to perform robust searches within a context. For example, Return all Digital Subjects which have brown eyes, size 10 shoes, but not a dog named fido (unless they also have a cat named felix).

Given our rough consensus on a data model (well two actually), does anyone have a preferred search filter language?

For the high-level API, I can suggest something akin to what LDAP uses because I already know it. The example above would look like this:

(&(urn:higgins.property.person.eyeColor=brown)(urn:higgins.property.person.shoeSize=10)(|(!(urn:higgins.property.person.dogName=fido))(urn:higgins.property.person.catName=felix)))

I want understand your "urn:higgins.property.person.eyeColor"-like constructs. Is this one long unique identifier of a property type? Or is this a combination of a Digital Subject reference (e.g. higgins.property.person") and the name of one of that Digital Subject's properties (e.g. "eyeColor"). Assuming it is the former, it seems that the Digital Subject that we're querying is specified somewhere else.

I'm open to anything though, as long as we can filter on property(attribute) values and have sufficient operators (and, or, not, present, equal, ordering, substring, <provider-defined>).

Me too.

Jim

Back to the top