Re: [higgins-dev] STS Platform Requirements (was: RE: Updated agenda for 5pm ET teleconf)

So Mike these are very important aspects to get agreement on to move forward, one of the issues is IP that we have to keep in mind

So back to your questions:

1. I don't think that there are many other alternative, so my opinion would be to base on Apache (Tomcat: 3.2, 4.0, 4.1, 5.0, 5.5) Axis for any web services stack.

2. Not sure if there any other open source projects with appropriate IP building a STS, so I don't see any reason why we could not do this as a sub project of Higgins but not sure how we would resolve the requirement for Apache Axis.

3. See #2 as if we do this in Eclipse not sure how we would resolve the requirement for Apache Axis.

Inactive hide details for Michael McIntosh/Watson/IBM@IBMUSMichael McIntosh/Watson/IBM@IBMUS

          Michael McIntosh/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
          Sent by: higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

          04/24/2006 10:27 AM

          Please respond to
          "Higgins (Trust Framework) Project developer discussions" <higgins-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"Higgins (Trust Framework) Project developer discussions" <higgins-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject

higgins-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 04/20/2006 04:57:51 PM:

> >    * What Web Services stack should we use? Apache AXIS2?
>
> You may want to consider looking into the stacks used in the WebTools
and
> STP projects before committing here. Commonality would be nice :-)

That is the plan, however there are still questions that must be
answered...
STP and WTP are essentially development tooling platforms that are
reasonably independent of the runtime platform. When you generate a Web
Service server or client using WTP, you select from a set of target
runtime platforms, including: Apache (Tomcat: 3.2, 4.0, 4.1, 5.0, 5.5)
Axis, BEA (WebLogic: 8.1, 9.0), IBM (WebSphere 6.0), JBoss (3.2.x, 4.0),
ObjectWeb (JOnAS 4), and Oracle (OC4J 10.1.3). The code that is generated
is specific to the selected target platform and the generated code does
not rely on any Eclipse runtime component beyond the generated code.

Each of these runtime environments brings with it a lot of unnecessary
functionality. This may become a problem if we would like this reference
STS to be deployed on a variety of platforms such as: PDAs, Cellphones,
SmartCards, Laptops, Desktops, Multiuser Computers, etc.

I assume we will want to support at least Linux and Windows OS platforms.

STS Server requirements would include:
       Consume RST containing arbitrary tokens supported via Plugins:
               At a minimum support:
                       UsernameToken
       Generate RSTR containing arbitrary tokens supported via Plugins:
               At a minimum support:
                       SAML 1.1
       Consume RST containing either:
               wsp:Policy element
               wsp:AppliesTo element
       Generate WS-Transfer Get, Consume GetResponse to retrieve Identity
Attributes/Claims/Stuff from Attribute Service.
               At a minimum support those Claims supported by InfoCard.

My feeling is that the target runtime platform must provide (too much
trouble to implement from scratch): an XML Parser and associated API,
support for HTTP and HTTPS, support for XML Signature and XML Encryption.
Nice to have features (could be implemented using the must have features
if necessary) would be: support for SOAP, WS-Security, and WS-Addressing.

I am unaware of any Eclipse platform support for XML Signature and XML
Encryption, so I guess that brings in at least something like Apache XML
Security. Once you bring in Apache IP, you might just as well bring in
Axis (SOAP), Addressing (WS-Addressing), and WSS4J (WS-Security).
Theoretically, targetting Axis allows deployment on any generic Servlet
engine.

Some questions remain:
1) Are there any other more reasonable alternatives?
2) Since the Higgins core should be designed to work with any STS and this
STS should be designed to work with and WS-Trust client, should the
reference STS work be done as part of the Higgins project or as a separate
effort?
3) If this should be separate, should this be done in Eclipse or Apache?

Thank,
Mike