RE: [higgins-dev] JAAS Scenario

Replies inline

Mike wrote:

I agree that Brian has identified two key use cases. The general case about making RCP more fully featured for enterprise applications is certainly right on the mark.

In my mind asking "How important is RCP?" is somewhat akin to asking "How important does Higgins want to be to Eclipse?"

RCP is very important to Higgins. As we’ve discussed with Jeff McAffer several months ago, our reticence to stand up and say that Higgins will address the RCP/JAAS issue has been caused mainly by Higgins not being ready to deliver within the 3.2 timeframe. We didn’t want to say we could do it and then leave Jeff/RCP high and dry.

Fast forward to now and things are bit different. Higgins is gaining resources and things are further along. Nevertheless, I still can’t commit to an RCP/JAAS date because Higgins has other “customers” and its design needs to evolve to handle them all at some base level. We consider Higgins will be at 0.4 by June, and we’d like to reach 1.0 (including JAAS support) by the end of 2006.

There will be a security framework for RCP. If it is not Higgins, then it will be another one. If Higgins is there first, it will very likely be used. If Higgins decides to not do it, there is a higher probability that Higgins will have limited utility to other projects within Eclipse community. (Of course, if Equinox is already planning on building a JAAS mechanism and release it as part of Equinox, that changes the conversation. But AFAIK, that's not the case.) Higgins decided long ago to do it and we’ve got some of the right folks to help get it done.

With respect to Tony's comment: "So I believe that the IBM RCP team has done the above but has not contributed it to RCP project yet. So how important is RCP ?" That sounds more negative as a sound bite than I think he meant. I bet he meant how important right now WRT our other commitments/customers.

I really don't know how to respond to that. There is a ton of code that is based on Eclipse within IBM which, for various sound business reasons, IBM has chosen to not open source. That is clearly IBM's perogative. But I really don't think that it implies much about the relevancy of RCP to Higgins or vice versa. Agreed.

I want to make it clear that my opinion does not matter. The Foundation does not tell projects what to do, and whatever you decide is fine with us. I just thought that I would let you know how I see the situation.

Mike Milinkovich
Executive Director,
Eclipse Foundation, Inc.
Office: 613-224-9461 x228