[higgins-dev] Notes from 5pm ET 4/20/2006 Higgins conf call

Present: IBM: TonyN, MikeM; SocialPhysics: PaulT, MaryR; Novell: TomD,
DaleO; Compuware: GlenE; Serena/ALF: BrianC;

Outcomes from the meeting:

- WRT Higgins data model, there was agreement that we need a focused call
just on this issue. Paul will organize one next week. Paul has posted just
before the conf call a high level overview of another proposal here:
http://spwiki.editme.com/RDF-OWLDataModelProposal for folks to digest before
that next "data model" call

- Tony explained that IBM is working on an STS to contribute to Higgins.
(Yeah!) He has been assembling requirements this week from folks on the
list.

- We discussed the pros and cons of using Apache Axis2 for Web Services
stack vs. looking at what other Eclipse projects offer. Mike Milinkovich
emailed in just before the meeting that we should look at WebTools and STP
projects specifically.

- Dale and others discussed the fact that although it is great to take
advantage of other Eclipse components as part of the Higgins execution
environment, Higgins also needs to run in other environments (e.g. C++/Linux
environments) where these are components are not available. We need to be
clear about the stack/platform/component dependencies Higgins has now and in
the future.

- Dale suggested we create a wiki page about these platform issues (e.g.
what components are assumed to run Higgins, etc.). And a second page that
tried to correct the perception that Higgins is *only* a developer tool
(that is, only for use in the Eclipse IDE).

- Tony is going to write up and circulate a couple of possible JAAS design
options including RCP/JAAS integration vs. Vanilla-Java-App/JAAS
integration, etc.

-Paul

Original Agenda:

1 Update on Milestone 0.3 (http://spwiki.editme.com/PlanM3)
      * ECF "collab" client integration -- still not done
      * Refactoring to “M4” lingo -- got done today

2 Update on Milestone 0.4 (http://spwiki.editme.com/PlanM4)
    Done:
      * Higgins is now running on a Tomcat/OSGI server
    In progress:
      * Firefox HBX is being debugged with help from Chuck Mortimore’s
https://xmldap.org/relyingparty/
      * Data model goals: http://spwiki.editme.com/RevisedDataModelGoalsM4
      * Yet another data model proposal: <will be posted prior to meeting>

3 Other items
      * STS status and spex
      * New wish-list: http://spwiki.editme.com/Wishlist
      * Status of automated builds of components:
http://spwiki.editme.com/ComponentProjects

4 Platform/stack
      * JAAS design; update to architecture diagram:
http://spwiki.editme.com/ArchitectureM4
      * Discuss how Higgins project can better support non-Java environments
	  (Higgins is already not pure Java; HBX is written in C++,
Javascript and XUL)
	* What are the platform (e.g. Eclipse) dependencies for the Java
impl of Higgins?
	* What Web Services stack should we use? Apache AXIS2?

Back to the top