RE: [hibachi-dev] Problems with creating and managing projects

Welcome Luke,

You are correct about the usage of configurations. As you've found out,
there needs to be at least one configuration to be able to build. We should
probable modify the project creation wizard to propose a "release" and a
"debug" configuration initially, like CDT, instead of "lib" as default.

Just to add to what Adam said, we started initially implementing a lot of
functionality using ASIS, but changed to implementing the functionality in
java for the following reasons-

The performance became unacceptable when there were thousands of units. I
believe there is just too much information in ASIS that we don't need, that
slows things down. We could have spent more time optimizing our code
(assuming we could fix the bugs we ran into in each ASIS implementation we
used). But with the other problems of using ASIS in a multi-vendor product
(see below), we decided to reimplement the functionality in java.

Implementation required making calls from Java to C to Ada to ASIS and
passing the info back the other way. Not efficient and easy to make errors
that are tough to catch.

Hibachi supports Ada compilers from multiple vendors, so we can't use a
single ASIS implementation, we have to use the one that matches the compiler
the user has. That is unmanageable, since we'd have to have and use
different ASIS implementations, not just in terms of vendor (and of course
each ASIS implementation had its own bugs which we had to work around), but
also, each different version of a vendor's compiler required a different
version of their ASIS.

Tom