[henshin-user] Henshin 1.4.0 released

Hello everyone,

we're happy to announce the release of Henshin 1.4.0! The new Henshin version is available from our update site - see https://www.eclipse.org/henshin/install.php for installation instructions.

Henshin 1.4.0 provides a lot of new features. In particular, our new Critical Pair Analysis feature lets you discover conflicts and dependencies in your rule sets. The parameter concept of the transformation language received an overhaul: you can now clarify the intention of a parameter by defining it as an "in", "out", "inout", or "var" parameter.  A summary of the most crucial new features and bug-fixes is provided below.

We have checked compatibility with the latest milestone for Eclipse Neon (4.6), which is scheduled for release on June 22. Henshin 1.4.0 is the first Henshin release based on Java 1.7. The API and meta-model of the new version are fully compatible with those of the previous one. In particular, to support existing units and rules with parameters, we provide a legacy parameter kind.

== Features and bug-fixes ==

= Main features =

* Support for Critical Pair Analysis, see https://wiki.eclipse.org/Henshin_Critical_Pair_Analysis
* Support for parameter kinds, see our updated examples and meta-model wiki. https://www.eclipse.org/henshin/examples.php https://wiki.eclipse.org/Henshin_Transformation_Meta-Model
* Support for parameter aggregation functions, see http://www.ckrause.org/2015/11/aggregations-in-henshin.html
* The Giraph code generator now supports a performance optimization based on a "staircase" concept: see http://publications.lib.chalmers.se/records/fulltext/219825/219825.pdf

= Usability improvements =

* Validation: A lot of new validation checks, including checks for correct parameter usage. https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/73623/ https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/46549/ https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/73295/
* Diagram editor: Show <<set>> instead of <<create>> when setting attribute values: https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/47581/
* Diagram editor: "F3" shortcut to navigate between units, try it out in the java2statemachine example. https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/73594/
* Interpreter UI: In case of an error during the transformation, the transformation wizard is now left open. https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/69834/

= Selected features and bug-fixes =

* General: Henshin modules can now be fragmented using containment proxies: https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/52659/
* Interpreter: Derived edges are now ignored during the dangling edge check. https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/56243/
* Interpreter: EGraphIsomorphyChecker can now return the isomorphism if one is found: https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/54104/
* Interpreter UI: null arguments for parameters are now allowed. https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/64224/
* Examples: The rules in the Bank example are now applied using separate
RuleApplication objects; using the same RuleApplication lead to incorrect results. https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/73298/

= Remarks for developers =

* The Critical Pair Analysis feature has a dependency to the AGG graph transformation library. To build the CPA projects in your space, please use the following instructions to check out AGG:
https://git.eclipse.org/c/henshin/org.eclipse.emft.henshin.git/tree/plugins/org.eclipse.emf.henshin.cpa/README-obtain_AGG_plugin.txt

Best regards,
Daniel

--
Dr. rer. nat. Daniel Strüber, Dipl.-Inf.
Software Engineering Research Group

Back to the top