Re: [henshin-dev] Henshin at Planet Eclipse

Dear Gabi,

I do not know how many times the Henshin web site has been accessed. The most interesting number would be the downloads from our update sites. Unfortunately, there is no direct and easy way to get these numbers. Tracking downloads from update sites is supported only rudimentary. How it works is that you have to configure your update site in a special way. Then, what should happen is that whenever Eclipse accesses the update site (downloads a feature), Eclipse should make a request to a special URL at Eclipse.org. Then the Eclipse servers are supposed to track these accesses in order to gather statistics about downloads / installations.

I have tried this out some time ago already, but did not succeed. It is very difficult, because (a) I don't know whether Eclipse in fact sends the requests to the stats servers, and (b) I don't know whether Eclipse.org is correctly collecting this data. Anyway, yesterday I configured our update sites again such that in principle, it should collect the data. We need to wait a little to see whether this actually works. I used the opportunity to check whether other popular update sites are also configured to collect this data. I checked a number of update sites including the ones for EMF itself and related projects. In none of them I found the required configuration. Therefore I doubt that it is actually used by projects. I believe the only numbers that Eclipse.org really tracks and uses is the number of downloads of Eclipse itself.

Cheers,
Christian