[henshin-dev] Common project, editors

Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on integrating the different editors. The first idea was to combine the tree-based editor and the diagram editor into a single tabbed editor to select between the two. I implemented this, but experienced several problems along the way. We might want to think of how we want the editors to be combined and to interact before actually implementing the integration.

I had problems with dependencies between plugins. The diagram plugin depends on the editor plugin; however, the editor integration approach I took requires the editor plugin to create a new diagram editor, so the editor plugin needs to depend on the diagram plugin. As Eclipse does not allow cyclic dependencies, I had to restructure the projects. As it turned out, the icons contained in the editor project (used for Nodes, Rules, Edges, Units, etc.) are used in several projects, so each of them needs to have a dependency to the editor project. However, none of the functionality of the editor project is required, just the icons. I propose to extract the icons to a "common" or "shared" project. Other common/shared features could be extracted to this project as well. I put them into the "model" project for the time being, but this project should probably be reserved for model-related features.

Felix

Back to the top