Re: [henshin-dev] Performance tweaks

Hi Christian,

Quoting Christian Krause <henshin.ck@xxxxxxxxx>:
Sometimes the measured times vary a lot and it is not always possible to say what caused the difference or whether a change in the implementation improves the performance under different conditions.
Still, I think that we should try to improve the memory consumption [...]

Thinking about optimizations is quite nice, but seeing you are getting these insights from using a (on my first impression) rather unrealistic and made-up example, wouldn't it be much more sensible to use (i.e. either acquire from our users or come up with) realistic and more real-world examples for trying to measure and optimize performance? I suspect that usually models are rather smaller than the Sierpinski example, so there might actually be no significant performance hit by the current implementation w.r.t. memory consumption, but some other aspect of the implementation could offer much better opportunities to work on to improve the actual speed for real-world transformation tasks.

If we want to make an effort in optimizing the Henshin Interpreter, actually identifying bottlenecks in the execution of the transformations our current users and our target user group use might lead to better results than just rewriting any code because of possible improvements this brings when using unrealistic examples. Sadly, I am not proficient in the way the interpreter works, so I can not suggest anything to look at in particular. One approach may be to look at transformations and models our users use and find out why they're not as fast as they could be.

Felix

Back to the top