[gyrex-dev] non-UI launcher for Equinox-based server

Title: non-UI launcher for Equinox-based server

Greetings,

I wanted to broach the subject of having a native binary launcher for running an OSGi server.

There are two things that we've needed when building our own OSGi server:

1.      Running the server as a Windows Service

2.      Acting as a watchdog for the JVM

While the second feature is a nice-to-have, the first tends to be an essential for developing servers that must also run on Windows One of the possibilities, of course, is to use only shell scripts in Unix or Linux environments, but this introduces an inconsistency in how the services platform (server) gets launched.  It also means implementing the watchdog functionality in a combination of Java and shell script code, which becomes decreasingly palatable as the sophistication of the watchdog function increases.

We've used the Tanuki Service Wrapper in the past, but their license is now incompatible with Eclipse Foundation efforts.  Does Gyrex, or should Gyrex have a native binary launcher for managing the JVM and running a JVM as a Windows service?

Regards,

Michael Murphree

Compuware Corporation

.