Re: [graphiti-dev] Graphiti and JavaFX

Hi Karsten,

thanks for providing more insight. I've tried out FXDiagram and I've seen GEF's first (small) steps towards JavaFX, but none of these efforts seem to be close to giving us a production-ready diagram editor based on JavaFX. When I asked my question on this mailing list, I wanted to get an impression for Graphiti's status quo, in order to complete my picture of JavaFX in the diagram editor world.

In summary, it seems like a long way to go, but thanks for giving me advice on good starting points.

Cheers,
Uwe

Karsten Thoms <karsten.thoms@xxxxxxxxx> , 10/1/2014 10:21 AM:
Hi Uwe,

you may ask also on the GEF forum, the GEF guys might have also an idea.

Further, at EclipseCon Europe, Jan Köhnlein presented an impressive JavaFX based editor draft. The repository for his example can be found at Github: https://github.com/JanKoehnlein/FXDiagram. Note that this project was just to demo his talk thesis about editors. It is unlikely that he will evolve it further.

To estimate the effort for the implementation of an alternative renderer the LOC of the underlying frameworks is totally misleading. These frameworks need deep knowledge on programming diagram editor frameworks.

From my colleague Alexander Nyssen, project lead of GEF4, I know this is a long running task. He is working in long-term on an alternative GEF implementation, where JavaFX might be an alternative for the future. You may get also involved into GEF4. There have been already some proof-of-concept work on JavaFX support.
I would say, the best approach would be work on GEF4 JavaFX support, and then port Graphiti to use GEF4 instead of GEF(3).

Regards,
~Karsten