[gmt-dev] [modeling-dev] EMF Feature Modeling / Active Models

[apologies in advance for a bit more cross-posting..]

Great, Marc -- I will take some time and check out the links closely. I also thought that MXF was pretty much not happening, but didn't want to make assumptions. You might also take a look at AMP.. specifically of interest might be http://eclipse.org/amp/documentation/contents/Modeler_Guide.html#Actions_2 which discusses the execution / action semantics. Note that the actual execution modality is completely unspecified as is yours I think. This is very important as it means that we can target completely arbitrary platforms in fact, up until now all of those targets are non-EMF dependent and only one of them has Eclipse dependencies.

Because of the domain, I've been especially focussed on runtime performance, which together with need for complete target independence is why the emphasis on code generation as opposed to more dynamic/open-ended approaches. But the approach could be implemented pretty easily dynamically. I've also been working on a DSL for it in XText (on and mostly off again for the last two year!) that has a Model Query and Transformation flavor as I think you'll see the backing Actions meta-model does. But I think for model execution you will also need the ability to support existing GPLs and query languages and that is something it looks as though you have focussed on. I think M2M is an interesting way to look at this through a slightly different lens. Actually, in some twisted way :), M2M could actually be thought of as a target for an Action specification, so you could have an M2M from AMF to your M2M specification! So the bottom line is that we probably have some orthogonal but complimentary concerns and may also have some areas where we are working toward the same functionality.

I'm realizing that I haven't done a good job at clarifying how AMF fits in with and complements the other EMF based approaches to the Modeling Project (cc'd in for this) as a whole. ("What the hell is this AMP project?") While the Raison d'être for AMP is Agent-Based Modeling, I've always had the idea in the back of my head that it would be applicable to generic modeling and specifically for people creating ecore models.  But there are clearly pieces missing that are needed to make it more general. I actually avoided using EMF as the original target meta-model and developed a purpose built meta-model for a few reasons.. a) The Semantics for the specific "agenty" / ModSim domain are different..we're concerned with spatial relationships, explicit containment hierarchies, etc.. b) EMF was actually too over-specified WRT to implementation architecture (for example with attribute typing) and c) it was strongly recommended by Ed and others not to try to hack / extend Ecore, d) I didn't have enough imagination or time to figure out how to support both. But...all that said, I think that has really unnecessarily limited the potential user base to a very small subset of potential users and there is no deep reason that all or most of the functionality it could not be provided for EMF models.

Getting back to the original query, that's what has motivated my question about feature modeling. My current strategy is to create versions of AMF agents that wrap and advise existing EMF models much in the way say that genmodel or EEF works -- it's sort of fragile and makes things harder on users, but it is the best solution I can come up with. It doesn't really make sense to extend EMF meta-classes like EClass and EAttribute or their AMF counterparts.  And annotations are not the way to go here. So my hope was that perhaps Feature support would allow me to mix-in the stuff that I need into EMF definitions and/or vice-versa.

cheers,

Miles