RE: [gmt-dev] UMLX reactivation

Hi Anders

This seems to be an area that Eclipse has not got quite right - the
major Eclipse projects all have a releng to manage their production.

I found that I had to have the .classpath dependency to ensure that
the src zip was installed in the jar for usage when importing
fragments from the workspace (though even this requires manual
expansion to the src directory) - use of the source extension point
seems completely magical - no tool generation support.

As a result the installation note for CVS source download says to delete
line from each classpath. Installation from the Update Site is the
preferred approach.

All suggestions welcome. It seems there is no alternative to having
scripts in a releng project to do what is transiently in the
build.xml and so not invokable by the builders. But I don't really
want to spend a week of evenings to make the site.xml build button work.

"@Override", @SuppressWarnings("unchecked") are Java 5.
I find switching on @Override beneficial since its omission gives a clue
that an intended override has not occurred, and more importantly its
spurious presence a genuine error. One distinction between the UMLX
and EDiagram is the extensive use of generics to get rid of a
distressing number of far from obviously valid casts. The suppress
warnings are necessary to eliminate a Java warning for casts that
might be unsafe/casts that I know to be safe. Most of these are
isolated in TypeSafeUtils/EcoreUtils/GefUtils that provide stronger
variants of standard class. NB Class<T> TypeSafeUtils.getClass(T) - why isnt
this in Java 5?

I may change the .project files to not rely on the workbench preferences
being for Java 5. This would allow weaker checking for the EMF-generated code.

Thanks for the comments.

	Regards

		Ed Willink