RE: [gmt-dev] Re: example meta model etc.

Hi Yeu Wen,
Thanks for your comments! They certainly make sense.

The main point of discussion is the question whether it always would be
possible to keep the PIM free of implementation artifacts (or alternatively,
have a third, mapping model, to contain implementation specifics).

A practical example, that I really encountered last year, is, that sometimes
there are requirements for column lenghts and column names in a database.
For example, column names could not be longer than 32 (in a respectable
database like Oracle), and this caused duplicates in my mapping. The
requirement was also that the names should stay meaningful, so that it would
not be too hard to look at the database with a standard reporting tool. I
solved this by having tagged values specifying column names if needed, in
the model, but really this is not a good solution, and of course the PIM
becomes cluttered. The position of Jorn seems to be that we will never need
this.

For now, we decided to let the discussion rest, because for the time being,
we will not have these problems. When the time comes, we will look at it
again. I hope you will stay with us in the discussion!

Regards,
Ghica van Emde Boas
Bronstee.com Software & Services b.v.
e-mail: emdeboas@xxxxxxxxxxxx,