[gmt-dev] Info on Montages

Hi, Markus.
There are a number of research papers, but they focus more on theoretical
questions. Links for the research stuff are on www.tik.ee.ethz.ch/~montages

For having an impression on the tool we did, there is a (very big, ca. 20 MB)
powerpoint animation about how the tool works at
http://www.kutter.org/A4Monline/html/index.php?lbl=mtgtut An executable
version of the old tool is at www.xasm.org as well the TclTk/C sources are available
if someone is interested.

The detailed description of how it works is in my thesis. It can be downloaded at
http://www.tik.ee.ethz.ch/~kutter/MontagesThesis.zip but quite long.

On our web-page I shortly explain what is the future product strategy. Back in 2000
we have filed a patent for a method allowing to make XML executable by embedding
executable actions, and storing intermediate results as attributes of the elements. We use
EMF/XSD to generate from an XML Schema a MOF model, and from there we implement
the techniques described in the thesis. The patent only protects our stuff, if you start with
XML, and thus, if you start with MOF, there is no protection. As you can see on our
page, we plan to make the sources freely available, and if you use it starting from MOF,
or some textual format not being XML, for instance the forthcoming human readable UML/MOF
notation, then you can use it for free. Otherwise, you should have a license from us. I am
not sure whether what we produce will have value for the community for reusing it, but as
a side effect we may provide some interesting plug-ins for analyzing and decorating MOF
syntax trees.

At the moment we just implement, descriptions, white-papers, e.t.c. are not planned before 2005.
Because of the general conditions, my partners went back to research positions, and I am doing
this basically alone. Thus do not expect us to create miracles, both in the positive and negative sense.

Best, Philipp

A4M applied formal methods AG
www.a4m.biz
kutter@xxxxxxx

Markus Völter wrote:
Hi Philipp,

> I worked 5 years on a PhD thesis about a DSL specification framework, and we wrote a lot of
> software for this. One thing I learned was, that all this academic work is useless in industry if you
> rely on the knowledge of things like EBNF or, even worse, formal methods. Now there is the
> chance to use what has been defined by industry for industry: MOF.

any information available on this?

You may be interested in the following ECOOP workshop:
http://www.voelter.de/data/workshops/ReuseOfDSLSpecsCFP.pdf

Markus

Markus Völter
mailto:voelter@xxxxxxx

voelter - ingenieurbüro für softwaretechnologie
Ziegelaecker 11, 89520 Heidenheim, Germany
Tel. +49 (0) 73 21 / 97 33 44

http://www.voelter.de