RE: [gmt-dev] Outsider View

Hi List

> Amen. I would like to see these questions answered too, since I'm a
> little confused about the role of GMT without them...

Although it's a little premature, I think the more confused readers
of this list deserve some clarification about the status of the
GMT project.

I understand that the Eclipse PMC have approved my new project OMELET,
(Open Modelling Environment with Links to Extensible Transformations).
Hopefully the visible existence of this project will apprsar soon.

The OMELET project will pursue the low level MOF-like activities outlined
in my GMT framework proposal
http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/indextech.cgi/~checkout~/gmt-home/doc/gmt-fra
mework-proposal-28-Nov-2003.pdf

OMELET will therefore seek to provide a framework in which any model
representation and any model transformation technology can be accommodated.
I have been working on this and have a prototype feature working. It may
be regarded as a strongly typed form of make or ANT, with meta-models
defining the strong typing, with which it is possible to deduce
transformation sequencing and perform transformations automatically. cf.
make which has
plausible connectivity, but highly informal typing and ANT which has
accidental
connectivity or typing. (There is an org.eclipse.omelet.ant plug-in
to allow ANT to be used as a transformation 'language', most usefully to
allow external tools such as GME to be invoked.)

GMT will pursue the more user-oriented workflow perspectives.

Hopefully as the two projects mature, they may exploit each others
capabilities.

In the short term, perhaps GMT is best characterised by getting one thing
working so that users can do something. In contrast OMELET seeks to
integrate what others are doing so that different tools can
inter-operate.

I hope this clarification may enable readers to disentangle the two
strands of GMT's past history.

	Regards

		Ed Willink

E.D.Willink,                             Email: mailto:EdWillink@xxxxxxx
Thales Research and Technology (UK) Ltd, Tel:  +44 118 923 8278 (direct)
Worton Drive,                            or  +44 118 986 8601 (ext 8278)
Worton Grange Business Park,             Fax:  +44 118 923 8399
Reading,   RG2 0SB
ENGLAND          http://www.computing.surrey.ac.uk/personal/pg/E.Willink