Re: [gmt-dev] evolving GMT in a fully open process that allows others to join the effort

> Markus, are you going to start one?
> So that I can fill in the Fuut-je column
> :-)

yes. I will start one tomorrow. You will be able to access the
page via www.voelter.de/wiki
use VoelterUser/mvtwiki to access it.

> The plans are to just use the file system, and use XMI or some other form
of
> XML as the content structure. If we would need versions etc. we could just
> use CVS. Another suggestion (from Brian Barry) is to contact the
Stellation
> folks and see what they can do for us.

ok.

> How user friendly is that going to be? Our design point should be that
"Joe
> Programmer" will be able to use GMT and see it as a help, not a burden,
> otherwise it will never catch on.

we can provide an out-of-the-box version that
contains useful defaults. unzip and run. and with
regards to extension by adding plugins: eclipse
uses the easiest possible way there. just copy
the plugin into the plugins directory and that's it.

> I strongly believe that our tool should be
> server side software, while the user should be able to use GMT from a
> browser, at best with a browser plugin. I doubt very much that Eclipse
will
> provide help as server platform.

OOOPS? server software? Now I understand your
webservice point. I have to say I see this completely
different... I thought of a command line tool..!

M.

Markus Völter
mailto:voelter@xxxxxxx

voelter - ingenieurbüro für softwaretechnologie
Ziegelaecker 11, 89520 Heidenheim, Germany
Tel. +49 (0) 73 21 / 97 33 44

http://www.voelter.de