RE: [gmt-dev] evolving GMT in a fully open process that allows others to join the effort

Hi,
I am trying to catch up here, so I start to reply to some older stuff...

> > In the GMT project - and the same would apply to the architectureware
> > project - we therefore need to put appropriate emphasis on the quality
of
> > the installation process, available documentation, and easy to follow
> > examples that enable users to learn to use the tools as intended.
For FUUT-je, you just need to unzip the package, and double click on the
startfuut.bat on Windows. Otherwise on Unix, you would have to make a
startup shell. I just do not know how to make these.

> > With respect to "getting going in 5 minutes" Fuutje is actually quite
good,
> > however it's a different story when it comes to implementing major
changes
> > to the tool model, i.e. when you want to work with a completely
different
> > meta model. This area needs significant work.
>
> ... and this is typically the main usage scenario, I guess.

I do not think that this is the main usage scenario at all. The current tool
model works quite well for me for some 5 years now - with some minor
modification now and then.
What may be needed more often in a layered MDSD world that we intend to have
for GMT, is the use of FUUT-je as a tool-factory: You model your (meta)
model in FUUT-je, generate and develop an application from it, and use the
result as your domain-generative development tool. I used this to develop an
HTML/PHP menu system, and earlier to generate complicated
lifecycle-state-on-many-levels code, EJB's from specific XML structures, a
database layer from truly odd Rose diagrams, etc.

Regards,
Ghica van Emde Boas
Bronstee.com Software & Services b.v.
e-mail: emdeboas@xxxxxxxxxxxx,