Re: [gmt-dev] evolving GMT in a fully open process that allows others to join the effort

> Yes, it's certainly the main usage scenario at SoftMetaWare ;-) Of course
> you can always just "live with" the limitated ability to add attributes to
> an otherwise fixed meta model - the old UML concept of stereotype and
tagged
> value - but it's not as elegant as it could be.

For the things I do currently, I also *have* to build my own
metamodel, although for many aspects, UML provides a good
starting point. I think the adaptable metamodel is the really
strong part of the architectureware generator. Once you know
how to do it, it's really powerful and simple.

> The main purpose of GMT in the medium term is really as an *MDA tool
> platform*. Any work on Fuutje is an intermediate step.

Yes, I understand that :-)

>  Fuutje is just one
> specific example of a model-driven template language based generator. If
we
> can demonstrate an easy-to-use mix and match capability of different
> generation/transformation tools, then the attactiveness of GMT will
> snowball. We're not quite there yet... but this is a good point for
further
> people to join our effort!

yes, I agree here.

I think one problem we (certainly, I) have is that I don't know
FUUT-je good enough to really find out what distinguishes it
from architectureware and maybe other approaches people
are using, e.g. in the context of GMT.

Proposal:
On my public Wiki, we create a Feature Matrix, that shows
which tool provides which features, and how. This will allow
us to understand better the differences.

What do people think?

Markus

Markus Völter
mailto:voelter@xxxxxxx

voelter - ingenieurbüro für softwaretechnologie
Ziegelaecker 11, 89520 Heidenheim, Germany
Tel. +49 (0) 73 21 / 97 33 44

http://www.voelter.de