Re: [gmf-dev] About upcoming Eclipse Sirius project

Thanks for your input, the summary is appreciated.
I don't think Generative versus Interpretative is the big difference between GMF Tooling and Sirius.
In my opinion, it makes a big difference for adopters. Most people who'll have a look at adopting GMF Tooling vs adopting Sirius tutorial will probably go to Sirius because of the interpretative approach allows a simpler and faster workflow.
Why would they care about a faster workflow, if they get their result quicker, and more stable with a tool that uses a generative approach?

We will check with our sponsor, and the community whether they want an interpretative modus too.
The main strength of GMF Tooling is that it is a pure open source project, without any dependency on a commercial project. Even the largest user, Papyrus, is a pure open source project, and not a commercial product. The developers of GMF Tooling, and now as well QVTO are recruited among the original developers of the EMF Modeling Frameworks at Borland/Together, and work at good, but local rates in Prague and St. Petersburg, without any other organization in the middle. The sponsorship money flows directly to the developers. Like this, the GMF Tooling project can quickly replay for more requests from the community or the commercial users. Currently we focus communicating this capabilities to the Swiss financial industry, but we will do broader communication soon.
I'm not saying anything bad against GMF Tooling and the companies behind GMF Tooling development.
Yes, but you tell, that because GMF Tooling does not feature interpretative Diagram Editors, it will not be used by new people. You put things in absolute terms.

I know GMF Tooling is a project that powers a lot of very nice diagram editors ;) I'm just trying to highlight that GMF Tooling will soon have Sirius as a main competitor project (same goal, same license, Eclipse label), and that in the current status of GMF Tooling and Sirius, Sirius will probably be the choice of newcomers in Eclipse diagram world.
We work on easy to use WYSIWYG editors for GMF Tooling. As you noted, the fact that you avoid the generation step may convince some not to use it, some will use it.

So what you tell us, is that no more Spray is the main competitor, but Sirius. Good to know.

We will investigate carefully, and make sure we provide better value to adopters.

By the way, thanks for your last input, regarding SimpleMap. It finally led to a merger of the two projects, and the mentioned WYSIWYG editors for GMF Tooling.

Regards, Philipp

Back to the top