Re: [gmf-dev] Multiview support in GMF

On 02/04/2013 10:08 AM, Fabiano Francesconi wrote:
Dear all,
I would like to ask you if it is possible to develop a multiview-based model using GMF.
In a nutshell, what I would like to accomplish is something like the following.

The language I'm trying to model is divided into two different views which have different canvas elements but those two views need to "cooperate" in order to get a proper result in this modelling language.

So, what I would like to know is: is it possible to create two different views, with different elements and rationale behind them, but make those two views "linked" in the sense of being able to relate elements between the two views and to provide reasoning using the knowledge provided by both the views together.
Yes, it is totally possible.
For example, you can have a look at Bonita Open Solution (that includes a GPL BPM designer based on GMF). There is a single model, and several views based on it (BPMN, Forms...). This site gives some hints -and some code- too: http://code.google.com/p/gmftools/wiki/SharedEditingDomain
In order to achieve that, you need to deal with SharedEditingDomain, so that your editors all use the same EMF Transaction queue, and your changes from several editors can modify the same semantic model.

HTH
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat