[gmf-dev] GMF Tooling missed M7

Hi all,

Yesterday was the deadline for M7, and unfortunately, GMF Tooling could not be part of it. I sadly think it is time to forget the idea to deliver GMF Tooling as part of Indigo... Although I think we can still deliver a release at the same time as Indigo.

In my opinion, this is bad news, but that simply means that we need more preparation for next release train. Here are some things that could help next year:

Issue for Indigo: Difficulty to get the status and contents of a build
Solution for Juno: Have builder on hudson.eclipse.org

Issue for Indigo; Difficulty to run a build locally, and then to contribute
Solution for Juno: Improve builder
Thoughts: I think the Athena / Modeling common builder is quite difficult to use, fix, tweak and understand. It is also difficult to get help on this. Tycho is a good alternative.

Issue for Indigo: No real plan for contributing to Indigo
Solution for Juno: Have a plan, with fixed dates
Thoughts: Since GMF-Tooling depends on GMF-Runtime, we need to have a calendar in order to ensure GMF-Runtime is build early enough for GMF-Tooling to be built on time.

Issue for Indigo: Not enough contributors
Solution for Juno: Boost GMF Tooling contributors number by making it easier to get in the project. and blogging, and trying to get the "Most Open Project" award. I think there a lot of GMF users, let's turn them into contributors!
Thoughts: Blogs, talks, JUGs...

I also have some difficulties to get how the GMF repository is organized, Who is in charge of building it, where does it gets the artifacts of each component...? Having a look to http://wiki.eclipse.org/Modeling_Project_Releng/Releasing confused me more than it helped me.
I think after Indigo, it would be sane for GMF to re-think the way it is built, aggregated and so on. I also noticed some inconsistencies in features naming that make it even more complicated to understand which component provide which feature.

I am very frustrated that GMF-Tooling missed this release train, I won't let it happen next time ;)

Mickael Istria
R&D Engineer

BonitaSoft - Open your processes
email : mickael.istria@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Best Eclipse Modeling Tool 2011

This message and any attachment (the "message") is intended solely for the addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message by mistake, please delete it and notify the sender immediately. Any use not in accordance with its purpose, any out-spread or disclosure, either as a whole or partially, is prohibited except with formal approval. Internet cannot guarantee the integrity of this message, therefore BonitaSoft will not be liable for the message if modified.

Back to the top