Re: [gmf-dev] First try on customizing a diagram editor

Hi Renzo,

I suggest going over the eclipse modeling project book. Although it may be somewhat advanced for a beginner to modeling in eclipse, I feel it provides an adequate overview of various modeling projects and how they interact with each other. In addition, the book covers some possible tweaks to the gmf editor.

The EMF modeling book and the tutorials and presentations available on the eclipse website are also relevant.

To directly address your question:

There are multiple places where one is able to modify the underlying domain model element when dropping a node into the GMF canvas. Some of the possibilities include:

- Modifying the EMF generated factory creation method for the desired domain model element. I would use this approach if the change to the model element is required and independent of who creates it (Tree Editor, Graphical Editor, GMF Editor, Custom Java code, etc.).

- Implementing an EditHelper that makes the necessary modification on the element given a GEF Request. GMF generates empty EditHelpers for most element models, this is perfect if you want to tweak the model element when someone creates the model element only through the GMF editor, and you don't want to modify or create new commands and possibly the edit policies associated with them.

The above suggestions are only a few of the possibilities. Maybe someone else can chime in and provide additional suggestions. However, the best solution will depend on your requirements. For example, whether the change is just for the GMF editor in question or any other client using your domain model.

Regards,
Angel Roman

Renzo Vannucci wrote:
Hi
I need to implement the following feature:
when i create a new node, i need to set the value of one  attribute
dinamically. (that value will be determined at runtime)
I tryed to take a look to the source code generated, but it seems
really complicated. Can you guys suggest me any documentation to
understand the basics on customizing gmf?

Thank you all.
Renzo Vannucci

--
MDE Systems, Inc.